How to Get Kodi on Apple TV Models
Summary: If you’ve been wondering how you can install Kodi on Apple TV, then you have come to the right place. After going through our guide, you’ll be able to use Kodi on Apple TV easily.
Table of Contents
- 2. How to Install Kodi on different Apple TV Models
- 2.2 Method 1: Install Kodi on Apple TV using Cydia Impactor
For the last couple of years, Apple has been focussing a lot on its Apple TV services that now includes Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade. The latter promotes Apple TV as capable gaming hardware while the former brings OTT content to the hardware. Just like most alternatives out there, Apple TV also comes with a tvOS App Store that allows you to extract the full potential of the hardware. It’s bizarre that the tvOS App Store still doesn’t offer Kodi in 2021. If you’ve been wondering how you can install Kodi on Apple TV, then you have come to the right place. After going through our guide, you’ll be able to use Kodi on Apple TV easily.
For those who’re unaware, Apple TV is nothing but a device that allows you to turn your regular TV into a smart one. Apple TV is a box that comes with a remote allowing you to watch movies and shows from hundreds of apps. The hardware comes with an App Store through which you can download streaming services apps such as Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, and more. Apple TV directly competes with the likes of Fire TV Stick, Chromecast, and Mi TV Box.
Kodi, on the other hand, is an entertainment hub that aims to bring all your digital media together. It’s a free and open-source project that runs on almost all devices and platforms. Through Kodi, you can play your music, movies, tv shows, photos, and whatnot. It also supports various add-ons that bring more functionality to the table. The add-ons allow you to install various services such as Crackle, IFTTT for automation, PS Vue, and more.
Both of them when combined can create an ecosystem capable of delivering a solid user experience. Well, that is why we decided to create this guide on how you can install Kodi on your Apple TV.
Since Kodi is not officially available on the tvOS App Store, you’ll have to do some tinkering manually to get it to work on your Apple TV. There are multiple ways to download Kodi on Apple TV and we’re going to look at each one of them. Of course, you can choose any single one of them that will serve the purpose.
Before you go ahead and follow the guide, there are a few prerequisites or requirements that you need to fulfill. You can find each one of them down below.
- Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K
- Latest version of tvOS i.e. tvOS 14
- Latest version of Kodi for tvOS i.e. a DEB File (ARM64)
- Cydia Impactor (method-specific)
- Xcode and iOS App Signer (again, method-specific)
In this method, we’re going to use Cydia Impactor that works well with IPA files. Sadly, Kodi for tvOS only comes in the DEB file. This means we need to convert the DEB file to IPA to make it work with Cydia Impactor. Here’s the complete guide for this method down below.
We first need to convert the downloaded DEB file into IPA. Here’s how you can do it.
- First up, we need to unzip the Kodi for the tvOS DEB file. You can use any of the popular software such as Winrar or 7-zip for this.
- Once unzipped, head over to the extracted folder and look for the ‘data.tar’ file and again, unzip it.
- Inside this extracted file, you should see a folder called ‘Kodi.app’. We don’t want you to do anything to this folder. Instead, we want you to create a new folder with the name ‘Payload’. This means that both Kodi.app and Payload should sit in the same location.
- Now, move the Kodi.app folder into the Payload folder.
- Lastly, you need to archive the Payload folder into the zip format. Once that is done, rename the archive file to ‘Kodi.ipa’.
Since we now have an IPA file, we can use Cydia Impactor to install Kodi on Apple TV models.
- Connect Apple TV to your computer using a USB cable and turn it on.
Note: iTunes might open automatically so make sure to close it before proceeding further
- Fire up the Cydia Impactor and then drag-and-drop the Kodi.ipa file to it.
Note: You might be asked to enter your Apple ID. Fill in the necessary details and proceed further.
- Cydia Impactor will now push the Kodi to your Apple TV hardware on its own. This particular step might take a few minutes.
Once the Kodi is installed on Apple TV, you can go ahead and disconnect your Apple TV and connect it back to your TV.
Alternatively, you can also use Xcode to install Kodi on your Apple TV device. It is worth noting that this piece of software is only available for macOS.
- Connect your Apple TV to your Mac device
- Now, launch Xcode on your device and head over to tvOS>>Application using the left sidebar.
- Choose the Single View Application on the right and proceed further
- Now, you will be asked to fill in some details. Give your app a name (such as Kodi) and create a Unique Identifier as well.
- Once the main page of Xcode opens up, you will witness a warning about not having a provisioning file. Right below the warning, you should see the Fix issue button, press it.
- You will now be asked to enter your Apple ID so make sure to fill it.
Note: If you have a Developer ID, then you can also fill that. With a Developer ID, you can install Kodi for up to a whole year while with a regular Apple ID, you’ll have to reinstall after every 7 days.
- Open iOS App Signer and carefully fill in the next mentioned information and then hit the Start button.
- Input File: Navigate to your Kodi’s installation file
- Signing Certificate & Provisioning Profile: Simply, ignore it
- App Display Name: Type in Kodi
- iOS App Signer will now start to unpack Kodi’s installation data and save it to a new file
- Switch to Xcode software and head over to Windows>>Devices from the top menu.
- Select your Apple TV Model on the sidebar and then click on the ‘+’ button located on the right.
Note: Make sure to keep your Apple TV turned on and connected to your Mac
- Now, Xcode will find the newly created file and will kickstart the main process.
After a few minutes, you can go ahead and disconnect your Apple TV and connect it back to your television. You should now see Kodi installed on your Apple TV device.
The latest version of Apple TV i.e. Apple TV 4K also supports wireless connectivity and you can use it to install Kodi as well. Again, we will be using Xcode for it. For this one, you can follow steps 1-8 from the previous method.
Now, we will connect Apple TV wirelessly instead of a USB cable. You can find the steps for it down below.
- On your Apple TV 4K, head over to Settings>>Remotes and Devices>>Remote App and Devices.
- On your Mac, fire up Xcode and head over to Windows>>Devices and Simulators in the top menu.
- You should now see an option to pair your Mac with Apple TV using the Pair With Apple TV option. Alternatively, you can select your Apple TV model from the left sidebar
- As shown in the previous method, use the ‘+’ button located on the right of the main interface.
- Now, select Kodi’s IPA installation file and Open it.
Well, that’s it. The Kodi will now get transferred to your Apple TV device. All these three methods work very well on both Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K models. You can go with any one of them as per your preferences.
If you reside in a region where Apple TV+ is not available, then you are lacking behind the company’s exclusive content. Well, you can use a VPN service to access Apple TV+ in your country and as a result, consume the content.
For those who’re unaware, VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It’s a service that protects your internet connection and privacy by creating an encrypted tunnel. Thanks to this encrypted tunnel, VPN manages to hide your IP address allowing you to browse safely. If you are not using VPN, then we highly recommend starting doing it. With VPN, you can connect to public WiFi safely and can also access blocked content.
Alternatively, you can also use other popular streaming services through which you can watch free movies and shows on your Apple TV. Some of the popular such services are mentioned down below.
- Comet TV
- The CW
- Hoopla Digital
- Pluto TV
- Tubi TV
All of these services offer free content such as movies and shows that you can consume on your Apple TV+. You should be able to find the official app of these streaming services on the tvOS App Store. Of course, there are a bunch of other such services as well that you can find by simply doing a quick Google search.
While OTT services are gaining significant popularity, it’s hard not to ignore all the limitations that it poses. For instance, you can’t download the movies and shows to watch them offline on third-party media players. This becomes annoying especially if you have weak internet connectivity. While Apple TV+ allows you to download movies but they are DRM protected restricting users to play them on anything other than the official app itself.
Well, that’s where DVDFab Apple TV Plus Downloader comes into play. This piece of software allows you to download Apple TV+ videos, movies and shows on your computer. It also removes the DRM protection along the way allowing you to play it on any media player such as VLC. Furthermore, you can also share the content to other devices removing the device restriction as well. DVDFab Apple TV Plus Downloader is free software that is available on the Windows platform. To enjoy the complete set of features, you’ll have to purchase a premium version which will set you back $14.99.
Here are some quick key features of the DVDFab Apple TV Plus Downloader.
- Download Apple TV Plus movies and shows from other countries, removing the location barrier.
- Ability to download high-quality 1080p MP4 files with AAC 2.0 audio
- Ability to download subtitles either as separate SRT files or remux them into MP4 files directly.
- Batch mode downloading is a real lifesaver
- Option to download metadata info as well
All of these combined makes this Apple TV Plus Downloader a solid software to download movies and shows for offline viewing. Here’s how you can download Apple TV+ movies and shows using the software.
- Fire up the DVDFab Downloader on Windows and then select DRM Downloader located on the left sidebar
- Select Apple TV+ under the Streaming Services option located on the left sidebar.
- The above step will redirect you to the Apple TV+ official website. You can now go ahead and play any movie or show that you want to download.
- DVDFab Downloader will now do its magic and will kickstart the downloading automatically. Of course, the DRM protection will be removed as well.
You can now play the downloaded MP4 file on any device and on any third-party media player.
With that out of the way as well, we will now be concluding our extensive guide on how to install Kodi on Apple TV models. In this guide, we have discussed three methods to install Kodi on Apple TV. You’re free to go ahead with any one of them according to your preference. The simplest method out of the three has to be the one involving Cydia Impactor. If that doesn’t work for you for some reason, you can go ahead with the one involving Xcode.
For those who are using Apple TV 4K, the third method involving wireless connectivity can also work perfectly fine. Following any of the three methods, you’ll be able to enjoy Kodi on Apple TV HD or Kodi on Apple TV 4K. Considering the popularity of Kodi, we also hope that Apple will soon bring it to its tvOS App Store. Apart from talking about this, we have also discussed how you can watch Apple TV+ content offline without worrying about internet connectivity.
We introduced an amazing tool called DVDFab Apple TV Plus Downloader that brings a plethora of features such as subtitle support, metadata info, high-quality resolution, and batch downloading. Lastly, if you haven’t been using Kodi for Apple TV, then you should go ahead and give it a try. Both the services work exceptionally well together and offer an immersive viewing experience.
Other Articles You May Like:
Download Netflix Free for Offline View
Most Anticipated Upcoming Netflix Originals 2021
Most Anticipated Hulu Originals 2021
Download Hulu 4K Content for Offline Viewing
Download Hulu Shows for Offline Viewing? — Here’s Why & How!
SpankBang Download | Which SpankBang Downloader Do You Prefer?
Download Instagram Videos or Download Instagram Stories? You Can Download Both! Effortlessly!
Vimeo Downloader: Desktop/Online/Android Apps and Browser Extensions
Download TED Talks Videos at Their Original Quality of 720p, 1080p or Higher