HBO Max 4K HDR Suport | How and Where to Watch HBO MAX 4K HDR Movies
Summary: Is HBO Max 4K HDR compatible? Not from the very beginning, but yes, HBO Max does have 4K HDR contents for streaming as of now. Check out this article to see all things about HBO Max 4K HDR contents.
Table of Contents
- 6. How to Download HBO Max Movies and Shows
Everyone is moving to 4K streaming; it is clearer, brighter, sharper, and more detailed. 4K HDR is practically the most after feature at the moment. When HBO Max launched, it didn’t support Roku devices and Amazon Fire TV; however, over time, the service has gotten to those devices.
Another aspect where HBO Max lacked was 4K streaming across devices. The service did not offer 4K streaming on all supported devices where you can get HBO Max. In fact, 4K HDR support was included in the v50 update in 2020. Literally, until that update, HBO Max was not available in 4K. However, here’s everything you need to know about streaming HBO Max 4K HDR.
HBO Max rolled out support for 4K HDR streaming in December 2020. The update also included support for 4K UHD and Dolby Atmos audio. However, this version of HBO Max is not available for everybody; you must have one of the few supported devices before you can enjoy 4K with Dolby Atmos audio streaming on HBO Max.
Well, the support keeps rolling out and more devices are getting supported. Soon, HBO Max 4K HDR streaming will be available on all compatible devices. Here, compatible devices mean devices that support 4K HDR resolution.
Since HBO Max 4K HDR is only supported on select devices, you may want to know those devices to see if yours is included in the list. Well, below is a list of devices to get HBO Max 4K streaming.
At the moment, HBO Max 4K is supported on the following devices:
- Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and Fire TV Cube
- Apple TV 4K
- Android TVs, including AT&T Streaming Box
- Google Chromecast with Google TV and Chromecast Ultra
- Roku Ultra 4800x, Roku Premiere, Roku 4k TVs, and Roku Streaming Stick+
- Xfinity X1 (Xi6) and Flex
If you have any of these devices, you can enjoy HBO Max movies and originals in stunning clarity. However, the company assures that it is “working to add more devices and 4K movies.”
Furthermore, it is important to note that while streaming HBO Max on Chromecast with Google TV, Roku Premiere, and Roku Streaming Stick+, you won’t get Dolby Atmos; it is not supported on those devices.
Well, for those who don't have any of the above-mentioned, you can stream Hulu in 1080p on any device you own, including the new PlayStation consoles, PS4 and PS5.
More so, just as there a few devices that support HBO Max 4K streaming, not all movies available on the platform can be streamed in 4K quality. Below is the list of 4K movies on HBO Max.
- Cry Macho
- Godzilla vs. Kong
- In The Heights
- Judas and the Black Messiah
- King Richard
- Mortal Kombat
- Space Jam: A New Legacy
- The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
- The Little Things
- The Many Saints of Newark
- The Matrix 4
- The Suicide Squad
- Those Who Wish Me Dead
- Tom & Jerry
- Wonder Woman
- Wonder Woman 1984
- Zack Snyder’s Justice League
- Zack Snyder’s Justice League: Justice is Grey
These are the movies you can watch in 4K quality on HBO Max. Others are available in 1080p or 720p, depending on your device and network strength.
To get started with streaming 4K movies on HBO Max, you have to ensure that you’re using one of the supported devices, and confirm if the movie you want to watch is available in 4K on HBO Max.
More so, according to HBO Max, these are the requirement to watch 4K movies on the platform:
- A 4K HDR TV that supports HDR10 or Dolby Vision
- You need a supported 4K HDR streaming device
- High-speed internet (30 Mbps or higher)
- A sound system that supports Dolby Atmos
- Your devices must support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
- Step 1: Get your device ready and connect to the internet. Make sure that your internet connection is strong and reliable. Some people suggest that Ethernet connections are usually stronger and more reliable than WiFi.
- Step 2: Upgrade the HBO Max app installed on your device. Your app must be v50.8 (50.7.340 for Roku devices) or any of the later versions for you to get HBO Max in 4K UHD, HDR, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos.
- Step 3: With a strong internet connection (up to 30Mbps or higher) and using a supported device, all you need is to search for a 4K movie on HBO Max and start watching. This article listed the 4K movies on HBO Max; so, search for any of them and start streaming. According to HBO Max, more 4K movies will be added soon.
Note: The resolution you get (720p, 1080p, or 4K) depends on your internet connection. If you have a very strong network connection, you’d get 4K, and if your network is not so strong, you’d get 1080p or 720p. You cannot manually choose a resolution.
The company is trying to catch up with its rivals - Netflix, YouTube, Hulu - and so have promised that it would release more 4K movies and also roll out 4K streaming support on other devices all through 2021.
However, at the moment, only the devices mentioned above can stream the few 4K movies on HBO Max. Interestingly, you can actually download any video from HBO Max to your PC in near-lossless quality using a streaming video downloader software - the DVDFab HBO Downloader.
In this modern age, virtually everything is possible, and that includes downloading content from any streaming platform. HBO Max subscribers can actually download their favorite movies and have them saved on their PC so they can watch them any time on any device without needing an active internet connection. This is possible using DVDFab HBO Downloader.
The DVDFab HBO Downloader software lets you download HBO Max movies in 1080p quality and 5.1 audio. It supports batch downloading - meaning that you can download multiples videos at the same time. Also, the software features an intuitive interface, which makes it easy to use, and goes on to support downloading of Meta information and subtitles of any HBO Max movie.
DVDFab HBO Downloader is the perfect solution to downloading your favorite movies from the network. It is fast, easy, and available for both Windows and macOS computer users.
- Downloads any video from HBO Max and HBO Now and HBO Europe
- Save your HBO videos in H.264 format
- High quality downloads: 1080p, 720p, AC3 5.1, and AAC 2.0 audio all supported.
- Pre-select audio and subtitles per the UI language
- Save subtitles as SRT files or remux into video
- Batch downloading with faster speed
- Downloads media server-friendly metadata info
- Install and launch DVDFab HBO Downloader on your computer system
- Go to “Streaming Services” on the left pane and click on the HBO Max card.
- Sign in to your HBO Max account and search for the movie you want to download
- Play the video and when popup window shows up, click on the Download Now on it to start downloading it immediately.
- You can search for other movies and download all of them at the same time.
Streaming HBO Max 4K HDR contents requires you to be on a strong network that offers up to 50 Mbps, and then you need to update your HBO Max app to the latest version on a supported device. Once you meet these requirements, you're good to go. However, you may need to adjust your TV resolution (depending on the TV) and ensure that your connection cables are all good.
Aside from streaming online, if you are interested in downloading your favorite movies from the platform to watch offline without any strings, then the HBO downloader software mentioned in this article is what you should pick up for that purpose.
Other Articles You May Like:
How to Watch Amazon Prime on Apple TV
How to Download Streaming Videos & Why
[Solved] How to Watch YouTube TV Everywhere
How to Use Netflix | Everything You May Want to Know
The Best Streaming Downloader to Download HBO Shows
Download Hulu Shows for Offline Viewing? — Here’s Why & How!
[Solved] How to Watch ESPN without Cable 2021 [Multiple Solutions]
Paramount Plus Download, Price, Availability: Everything You Care About
Disney Plus Free Trial: There’s One But It May Take You Some Effort to Get It
Watch Apple TV | On Apple Devices, Non-Apple Devices, Browsers and Offline