DVD Netflix | Everything about Netflix DVD Plans, How They Work?
Summary: Do you still remember the Netflix DVD Rental service before it becomes the No. 1 streaming service? Check this article to see what is Netflix DVD Rental service, how does it work and does it still work as of today when streaming is the king.
Table of Contents
- 5. Reasons Why People Are Still Renting Netflix DVDs?
- 6. Download Netflix DVD Movies to Watch Offline
Netflix offers two separate services, an online streaming platform, which can be accessed through netflix.com and the app, and a DVD rental program through dvd.netflix.com. In the case of the latter, they send the DVDs through the mail. Want to avail Netflix DVD but don’t know how? Well, this article is going to help you out. In this, you will learn how to subscribe to DVD Netflix and how it works.
Netflix DVDs include some movies and TV shows that are not available through its streaming service. By paying once a month, you will get to watch both Blu-rays and DVDs.
In 1998, Netflix had begun renting out DVDs through the mail. A year later, it altered its pay-for-use model to a subscription program. It was almost a decade later that it changed its proposition to a streaming service.
When Netflix started renting out DVDs, it had been a game-changer in the video-renting market. Their VHS was dominating the market and just 2% of the households in America owned a DVD player during that time. The engineers who founded Netflix, Marc Rudolf and Reed Hastings knew that if they are able to reach out to 20% of the household, they are going to have a viable business. They took the leap and they were right, eventually, 95% of the household had a DVD player.
The Blu-rays and DVDs from Netflix are delivered to you within 1-3 business days. Furthermore, you can easily return them through mails. However, if you are located in a rural area, it might take more than 3 days at times. However, the Netflix DVD distribution is usually speedy.
Netflix DVD rental plans come in 2 different formats. It allows the customers to select either Blu-ray discs or standard-definition DVDs. No matter the plan you choose, the first months are always free. When you take advantage of the Netflix DVD rental plan, you can enjoy free shipping, no late fees, and free returns. So, you can keep the discs as long as you want.
Previously, DVD Netflix subscriptions gave you access to streaming services, too. But those days have come to an end. For the streaming service, you will have to get a separate subscription.
Netflix DVD rental plans are divided into 3 categories. But with both, you will receive unlimited discs every month. The only difference between the two plans is the number of DVDs you will receive.
- Starter Plan: $4.99 per month offering 1 disc at a time and two rentals per month.
- Standard Plan: $7.99 per month offering 1 disc at a time and unlimited rentals.
- Premier Plan: $11.99 per month offering 2 discs at a time and unlimited rentals.
There is also an add-on that you can get in case you want to rent Blu-ray discs. A few Blu-rays from Netflix came with extras, such as commentaries from the director or some never seen footage.
In case you go for Blu-ray, the features that have been listed above don’t change, only the price is going to go up to $14.99 for Premier, $9.99 for Standard, and $5.99 for Starter.
The movies are going to arrive in a resealable envelope. So, when you are done watching, you can simply put them back in the envelope and drop them off at the mail carrier. When the tracking service of Netflix has been notified that the DVD has been picked up, you are going to receive your next title.
Signing up for the Netflix DVD rental is easy and will take you only a few minutes.
Netflix DVD offers its customers one month of a free trial. After the free trial is over, you will have to get one of three subscription plans to continue with the services.
However, you need to keep in mind that not all movies that are there on Netflix’s streaming platform are available in DVD format. Nevertheless, there are movies and shows that are exclusively available through Netflix DVDs.
In case you have not already subscribed to DVD Netflix service, you can do so by following the steps given below.
Before you proceed, remember, these steps are for using the desktop web browser. But you also have the option to sign up with the mobile app.
- Visit the official website of DVD Netflix with the Netflix details.
- Now, select ‘Add DVD Plan’.
- Choose the plan that you think is suitable for you. Make sure that you opt for the Blu-ray option present at the bottom in case you would also like to watch Blu-ray videos.
- Select ‘Get Started’.
- Fill up the shipping and then choose ‘Start’.
The above-given steps are for the existing users.
In case you are signing up for the plans for the first time and don’t have a Netflix account, use these steps instead.
- Visit the official website of Netflix DVD.
- Choose ‘Join for a free month’.
- Now, select the plan that is suitable for you. If you would like to watch Blu-ray videos, make sure that you choose ‘Yes, I want to include Blu-ray’ present at the bottom.
- Choose ‘Get Started’.
- Next, enter the email address, select a password, and then choose ‘Continue’.
- Make sure that you enter the shipping information and then click on ‘Continue’.
- Enter the payment details and then choose ‘Start Membership’.
Once you subscribe, Netflix is automatically going to send you DVDs on the basis of what you have added to the personal queue. The order of receiving them depends on the way you have arranged them in the queue.
When you return the DVD, you are going to get the next title on the list.
To add movies to the Netflix DVDs queue, this is what you have to do.
- From DVD Netflix, choose ‘Add to Queue’ or ‘Add’ based on the screen you are looking at, next to the DVD you would like to add.
- For adding an entire TV show, just choose the season you would like to rent and then select ‘Add All to Queue’. Search for titles by typing name, genre, or people.
- Open the queue through the QUEUE menu present at the top of the site for managing the DVDs. By dragging the titles up and down, you can adjust the order. To delete an item just hover the mouse over it and choose the trash icon.
You might ask does Netflix still mail DVDs. Well, millions of users are still subscribing to DVD Netflix. It is much smaller than the streaming service, Netflix rentals come with their own advantages. Let’s take a look at them.
The primary reason to subscribe to Netflix DVD is its great collection of films. Netflix streaming service might offer a large show and movie collection, there is more available on a physical disc.
DVD Netflix shines in the sphere of its catalog of independent films and older flicks. For instance The Endless, an indie sci-fi gem is only available for rent on physical media. In case you want to watch classics, such as Saving Private Ryan, Planet of the Apes, etc. you have to get a DVD subscription.
The streaming service also has obscure titles, like 1978's The Legacy and Koyaanisqatsi. Even many recent releases, like Hereditary or Murder on the Orient Express, are not available for streaming on Netflix. Thus, if you want the largest collection of films available for renting, DVD Netflix boasts of the great lobby.
In case you subscribe to Netflix DVD and don’t have internet, no problem. Even though most people these days depend on the internet, there are certain situations where people do not have access to the internet.
There might be a service outage, you might be visiting a friend, or traveling somewhere where there is no Wi-Fi. No matter what is the reason, the fact that you don’t have to depend on a stable internet connection makes this DVD service so popular.
Even if you get upscaled DVDs, they will not look crisp like a Blu-ray version. The good thing about DVD Netflix is that they offer high-resolution videos. The picture quality is 6 times that of a regular DVD.
If you are a sound buff, you need to remember that Blu-ray offers an upgrade in that case, too. Just sit back and enjoy Dolby Digital sound from your home.
You can easily get a DVD from Netflix. All you have to do is add to the queue and wait for it to show up in the mailbox. There is no need to venture out in public. Returning a DVD is also quite simple. You just have to reseal the disc in the return envelope and put it back in the mailbox.
If you take a look at the subscription plan, you will see that there are three options. The starter pack only costs $4.99 per month. With this plan, you can get one disc at a time without any additional fees. You do not even have to pay a shipping fee.
The premier plan comes at a price of $11.99 per month. This will let you rent two discs at a time. You can also take advantage of the other Netflix benefits. The price for the premier plan can increase to $14.99 if you include Blu-ray in the mix.
Even with the highest subscription plan, you are just paying for a single Blu-ray purchase. If you have changed your mind and don't avail of the service, you can just stop paying, like you cancel a subscription plan.
There is a wide range of streaming services, from Hulu to Netflix. Nevertheless, there is no diversity in the DVD through mail space. So, you will not find many alternatives to DVD Netflix.
This service stands apart from its competitors. DVD Netflix is an exclusive service provider that focuses on physical media.
Simply because DVD Netflix offers physical discs it doesn’t really mean that it is behind the times. Remember, diversification is one way Netflix makes money.
Just as the streaming counterpart, there is a mobile app that will let you manage the queue. The app for iOS and Android will let you manage the DVD queue on the go. It is an attractive feature that makes it easier to stay updated with the present Netflix library.
If you want to download movies from your Netflix account, you have two fundamentally different ways to do that, one is using the Netflix app on your mobile devices which only downloads the contents to the app itself other than to your local storage, the other is to download using a standalone Netflix downloader software to download any Netflix videos to your computer hard disk drives so that you can watch the downloaded videos on any device as you wish.
If you don’t mind downloading to the Netflix app, then simply follow the steps below.
- Open the Netflix app.
- Select a movie that can be downloaded for offline viewing.
- Next, tap on the ‘Download’ icon placed beside the ‘Share’ icon.
- Now, at the bottom of the navigation bar, you will find the ‘Downloads’ icon.
- Open it to find the movie you downloaded and enjoy.
However, remember, you can only download a movie on your mobile device. You cannot download it on a desktop or TV. Unless you opt for a standalone Netflix downloader software. For that end, read on to the next chapter.
DVDFab Netflix Downloader is the world’s best full-featured streaming video downloader dedicated to the Netflix streaming service. It can help Netflix paid users download any video from the streaming platform and save the downloaded videos on their computer HDDs as premium MP4 files in either 1080p or 720p quality depending on user’s choice.
The greatest perks of this standalone Netflix downloader are listed below:
- The downloaded videos are stored on your computer, other than inside the Netflix app downloaded by the official app which you cannot transfer the downloads anywhere else to play with other media players.
- The downloaded videos shall never expire, because unlike the videos downloaded by the Netflix app that come with an expiration date, videos downloaded by DVDFab Netflix Downloaded are not marked with an expiration date, you can keep the downloads in your lifetime, if you wish.
- You don’t have to finish watching a movie within 48 hours once you started to watch it. You can resume your playback anytime you are convenient. Never have to worry about your downloads disappear again.
Okay, having known all its merits, you may want to see how this Netflix downloader can download Netflix videos in details. Check out below, simple and easy, no brainer at all.
- Step 1: Launch DVDFab Downloader after you install it on your computer.
- Step 2: Choose the Streaming Services and find the Netflix portal card.
- Step 3: Open Netflix website and login to your account.
- Step 4: Play the video you want to download.
- Step 5: As the video starts to play, a prompt shall come up, click the Download Now button on it to start downloading your video.
That does it! The downloaded videos are, as mentioned earlier, saved on your HDDs, you are able to transfer them to any device to watch without any hassles, thanks to the MP4 format’s universal compatibility.
Other features of DVDFab Netflix Downloader include:
- Download high-quality audios as AC3 5.1 or AAC 2.0
- Batch-download mode to download multiple videos in one go
- Download metadata information to easily manage the downloads through visualized posters
Your question does Netflix still mail DVDs might have already been answered. If you pay for the DVD subscription plan separately, they are going to mail you DVDs. There are three separate plans that you can add to the account, Starter, Standard, and Premier. All these plans come with a month of a free trial. In case you want to watch a better quality video, you can add Blu-rays for a little extra money every month. It is perfect if you are a movie buff and want to get consistent access to good movies.
As far as your need to download Netflix movies and other videos is concerned, you have two approaches to go with. The 1st is of course through the official Netflix app which you can download your beloved movies and shows to your mobile devices only and also watch them inside the app only. If you want to watch your downloads outside the Netflix app with another media player, or on any other device, then you have to choose the standalone Netflix downloader software that can make all your demands a reality.
Other Articles You May Like:
How to Watch Amazon Prime on Apple TV
How to Download Streaming Videos & Why
[Solved] How to Watch YouTube TV Everywhere
How to Use Netflix | Everything You May Want to Know
The Best Streaming Downloader to Download HBO Shows
Download Hulu Shows for Offline Viewing? — Here’s Why & How!
[Solved] How to Watch ESPN without Cable 2021 [Multiple Solutions]
Paramount Plus Download, Price, Availability: Everything You Care About
Disney Plus Free Trial: There’s One But It May Take You Some Effort to Get It
Watch Apple TV | On Apple Devices, Non-Apple Devices, Browsers and Offline