What is an Mkv File & How to Play it - Best MKV Player
Summary: It is a wrong perception that MKV files are audio or video compression formats. Contrary to this, they are multimedia container formats. MKV files are also popular as Matroska Video files and were developed in Russia in 2002. Let's read the article to learn more about MKV files in detail.
Table of Contents
It is wrong to perceive MKV files as audio or video compression formats. Contrary to this, they are multimedia container formats. MKV files are also popular as Matroska Video files and were developed in Russia in 2002. An MKV container can combine audio, video, and subtitles into one file. It does not matter that they use a variety of encodings. For instance, you might have an MKV file containing MP3 or AAC for H.264 video and audio.
Although the MKV format is frequently used to save short videos, TV shows, and series, it is most demanded in the anime fanbase circle. Mostly these users make subtitles, and the MKV format is particularly suitable as it allows multiple audio and subtitle paths in a single file. The name Matroska is derived from the Russian Matryoshka doll, which contains numerous small nesting dolls of identical form. Let's read the article to learn more about MKV files in detail.
There are different ways to get MKV video files, from Blu-ray Discs or DVDs to the web or torrent platforms. Here are some of the quickest ways;
- Rip Blu-ray disc, folder or ISO to MKV
- Change DVD disc, folder or ISO to MKV
- Download MKV videos from conventional online platforms like YouTube
- Download MKV videos from torrents websites
The MKV container files come as future proof. It means that these will not become obsolete. This open-source format works similarly to the .AVI, .ASF, and .MOV formats and can include any number of videos, audio, picture, and subtitle tracks. Multimedia files that use the Matroska container format and save one or more video paths are called Matroska video files. They are differentiated by .mkv file extensions.
After getting MKV files, it is not guaranteed that you can easily play them on any device. You may be unable to play it on your PC or mobile phone. It is not an industry standard; all media players do not support it. However, you can encrypt this format differently, such as HEVC, VP9, VP8, H264, DTS, AAC, etc., which may enable MKV files to install specific codecs on your media players.
Here are some of the possible solutions;
- Play MKV files directly on Windows 10/8/7 with MKV media players (DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper, 5KPlayer, VLC, PotPlayer, GOM Player, MPC-HC, Eltima Player)
- Change MKV to MP4 for Mac & Windows (DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper is the most recommended tool for it).
- Install codec pack for Windows media player (CCCP Community Pack, Haali Media Splitter, DivX Plus MKV Codec Pack)
Blu-ray has converted DVD to the favoured disc format due to its high capacity and capability to store high-definition media content. These days, there is an improved version of the format popular as 4K Blu-ray which can store more data in ultra-high definition. But you cannot enjoy the advantages of Blu-ray without a good monitor.
That is why many people still favour MKV videos, which inhabit less storage space. It's great to have your desired series on Blu-ray, but sometimes digital MKVs are the best choice as they don't damage with time. Moreover, they are also effortless to copy or transfer. Focusing on this, here we will let you introduce how to convert Blu-ray to MKV using a convenient tool.
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper is excellent to rip Blu-ray to MKV using minor resources and labour. It will quickly turn off any Blu-ray discs, such as 4K and 3D alternatives, and convert them into digital format. Besides MKV, DVDFab will also support all other trending formats available now and grab audio tracks from Blu-ray discs. Moreover, it is a great video editor offering unlimited tools to use. So, you can confidently rip discs or change the output file according to your set time.
- DVDFab Blu-ray ripper not only works to convert Blu-ray to MKV but also supports numerous other output video formats.
- This video editor program will let you edit your video as you want.
- It will change Blu-ray to MKV in batches without hurting the original quality.
- Furthermore, its hardware acceleration support lets the program rip Blu-ray to any format ten times faster than any other traditional program.
- You can combine files, use its multithreading services, and many more.
- After ripping and converting Blu-rays, you can stream them on your PC, smartphones, and tablets.
- You can grab audio paths from Blu-rays and save them as audio files.
- The users will enjoy its working to crop and trim their videos.
How to make Blu-ray to MKV file using DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper?
- Download and install DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper freely and click on the 'Ripper' module after opening it.
- Put the BD into the external Blu-ray drive. You can navigate with the "add button." Now the program will start to analyze the file.
- After it, tap on the 'Choose Other Profile' to choose your preferred profile. It will also allow you to choose the titles, audio tracks, and subtitles according to your preferences. Click on the 'Advanced Settings' and built-in 'Video Editor' to change the output video.
- Finally, hit the 'Start' button to let this ripper initialize its ripping Bluray and display the progressive detail information process. Moreover, it is also possible to cancel the task anytime, set a time to shut down your computer, leave the program, or anything else.
Hopefully, this article helped you understand "What is mkv file?" MKV file format may not always be used but are quite helpful in some cases. Besides this, they are designed for intending as future savers. You can open MKV files using different methods, such as with the help of an MKV player, or a VLC player, installing codecs, or changing them into a more readable format. One of the most convenient ways to play this format or others converting into this format is using a reliable tool- DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper. It will support you in changing Blu-ray to MKV, M4P, M2S, TS, or any other format according to your device compatibility. Apart from this, DVD Ripper comes with a clean graphical user interface which helps new users find it much easier to learn and use.