How to Convert a DVD Video to MKV, MP4, AVI, MP3 and Other Audio/Video Formats
How to convert DVD to MKV so that DVD videos can be played on smartphones, or TVs via USB etc? Considering not all video players support DVDs, is there a DVD to MKV converter able to rip DVD to MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MP3 or other popular video and audio formats compatible with most mobile devices? YES! There is DVD to MKV freeware conversion tool meriting your attention.
So, in this article I will show you how to rip DVD to MKV with a powerful DVD to MKV converter - DVDFab DVD Ripper, ripping DVD to MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV and other popular video formats free and fast.
Before learning how to rip DVD to MKV, try to know the concept of DVD ISO Image and DVD folder. DVD videos take three forms: physical DVD disc, DVD ISO Image and DVD folder. Both DVD ISO Image and DVD folder are an exact copy of the physical DVD disc. Compared with a physical DVD disc, an ISO or DVD folder can be saved on your PC’s hard drive and burned later to a blank disc. It makes DVD movie home watching easier.
More conveniently, you can enjoy DVD movies in mobile devices with the help of DVDFab DVD Ripper. This MKV ripper is capable to convert DVD to MKV, including DVD movie, DVD ISO image and DVD folder.
Step 1: Download and install DVDFab DVD Ripper
In order to convert DVD to MKV, MP4, M4A, WMV, AVI and other audio and video formats, download and install DVDFab DVD Ripper first which is one of the modules in DVDFab 12. Only three clicks are needed from downloading to launching this free DVD to MKV converter on Windows or Mac.And then prepare your physical DVD discs, or ISOs, or folders.
Step 2: Click the module of "Ripper" on the top
After starting DVDFab 12 software, click the ‘Ripper’ tab. This is the most important step to convert DVD to MKV.
Step 3: Import your DVD file
There are two options provided for you to import DVD to this MKV ripper.
• If you have a physical DVD video disc then simply load it in the optical drive and DVDFab DVD Ripper will automatically identify the disc, and follow your requirement to rip DVD to MKV.
• If you want to rip DVD ISOs or folder then click the ‘+Add’ button instead to load a DVD ISO or a folder from your PC’s hard drive.
Special Note 1: You can add multiple DVD ISOs or folders in the program and can convert DVD to MKV in batches without having to convert them one by one.
Special Note 2: Just next to the ‘+Add’ button you have the ‘Merge’ function button. Use this function to merge all the videos from different ISOs or folders which you are processing in batches. This function creates a single movie file from multiple DVD ISOs and folders. Ripping DVD to MKV in batches save you much time.
Step 3: Click the "Profile Switcher" button
Now click the ‘Profile Selection Box’ to choose other profile from the built-in Profile Library, and click ‘Format’ tab then select the ‘MP4’, or ‘MKV’, or any other output video format profile from here. You will find nearly more than 45+ pre-configured video profiles. It is easy for you to convert DVD to MKV or any other digital formats.
• Wait, if you are converting a video for your smartphone, or a gaming console like Xbox or PS3 then you should check the ‘Device-specific video profiles’. Simply click the ‘Device’ tab to access these profiles. Then converted DVD to MKV file will be available in such devices.
• DVDFab DVD to MKV converter gives you a lot of choices. For example, the ‘Device’ tab contains hundreds of pre-configured device-specific video profiles from manufacturers like Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, LG, Google, HTC, Amazon, etc. You just need to select your device from the list (say iPhone X).
• Now after selecting the video profile the main program window will look at this below. Check the important labeling of sub-functions which proves how powerful this DVD to MKV converter is.
• Use the basic options on the interface to select the ‘DVD chapters’, ‘Audio language’, and ‘Subtitles’.
• Click the ‘Advanced Settings’ button in this DVD to MKV converter to change the video settings like ‘Resolution’, ‘Frames/sec’, ‘Video Quality’, ‘Encoding Method’, ‘Audio Codec’, ‘Channels’, ‘Sample Rate’, or increase the volume by up to 500 percent.
• Now after changing the settings you can just start ripping DVD to MKV, MP4, AVI, and 45+ other video formats including 3D and 4K formats.
• Just next to the ‘Video Settings’ button is the ‘Video Editor’ button.
• At this point if you don’t want to use the video editor then you can simply convert DVD to MKV, MP4, or AVI or any other video format by clicking the ‘Start’ button.
• You can also check the ‘Video Editor’ tutorial in the next section.
You can use the DVDFab video editor just after selecting video profiles, changing video settings, and immediately before hitting the ‘Start’ button for converting the disc. Simply click the ‘Video Editor’ button to launch the DVDFab video editor. Have a look at the important tools helpful for you to convert DVD to MKV.
Basic Video Editing Tools
(1) Text Watermark: Use the option of Text in this DVD to MKV converter to place a text watermark in the video. Simply click the ‘Text’ button to add an unedited text in the video/movie. On clicking the ‘Text’ button a specific set of options will open in the bottom section of the video editing window. Here you can change ‘Text size’, ‘Formatting’, ‘Color’, ‘Font’, and the change the text you want to see in the video.
(2) Image Watermark: "Image" is another video editor in this DVD to MKV converter, letting you add an image watermark in the video. Click the ‘Image’ button and load an image from your PC’s hard drive. The image will be put over the video as a watermark. Drag the image edges or sides to increase or decrease its size. In the ‘Options’ menu below you can change the image transparency also.
(3) Subtitle: If your DVD video is missing subtitles then you can add them when you convert DVD to MKV via a subtitle file (.SRT, .SMI, .SSA, .ASS). Click the ‘Subtitle’ button and load the subtitle file from the hard drive. On loading the subtitle file a specific set of options/settings will open in the bottom section of the video editing window. Here you can edit subtitles font, text size, color, formatting, position, character encoding, delay etc.
Advanced Video Editing Tools
(1) Video Properties: Clicking this editing tool will open video properties. In video properties, you can change the contrast, brightness, and saturation. You can also rotate the video by 90 degrees left or right. This can correct a video frame which is wrongly shot on a video camera. This is camera error in which camera shoots a landscape video but encodes the final result as portrait video. The rotate options can correct this error. How powerful this DVD to MKV converter is!
(2) Video Crop Tool: Just like an image a video can be cropped. Video cropping simply means cutting short the original video frame and removing any unnecessary visuals. Click the ‘Crop’ button and it will put a crop frame on the video under source. Firstly set the ‘Crop Aspect Ratio’ to ‘Original’ and after that drag the white edges or sides of the crop frame in the source video. Move the mouse cursor in the middle of this crop frame and click and hold left mouse button to drag the entire crop frame over anywhere on the original video frame. DVDFab DVD to MKV converter is absolutely the best converter you need.
(3) Trim/Multi Trim Tool: Use this tool to trim away the unnecessary scenes/parts from your DVD movie. This trim tool also allows you to trim multiple scenes at once from your DVD movie. For this, you just have to apply multiple trims. So, let’s see how to do this.
• Simply click the ‘Trim Tool’ in this DVD to MKV converter. Or use the two sliders.
• To add another trim section with this DVD to MKV converter drag the blue marker out of the first trim section and then again click the ‘Trim Tool’ button to add a second trim. In this way, you can add multiple trims with this DVD to MKV converter.
• Remember that you can increase or decrease the default length of trim sections which is 3 minutes by default when you rip DVD to MKV.
• Simply drag any of the two red markers on the video timeline either left or right to increase or decrease the trim section.
• If you want to invert the selection of the trim sections, click the ‘Trim Invert’ button at the bottom in this DVD to MKV converter.
• Clicking this button will invert the selections of the trim sections and other parts of the video will be selected, which are outside of trim sections. Make sure to put a check on ‘Merge trimmed clips’.
Note: While you are converting DVD to MKV, you can click the ‘Delete’ button to delete any video editing tool’s editing data. To do so, first, select the tool under the video timeline and then click the ‘Delete’. Below the video timeline, a list of tools with their specific settings will be created in the order of your usage. From here you can directly access the edited data or delete it completely.
• After finishing the video editing tasks in this DVD to MKV converter, finally click the ‘OK’ button to return to the main ‘Ripper’ function sub-program window.
• Now simply click the ‘Start’ button to start converting your DVD to MKV, MP4, AVI, etc. with proper video edits.
• The ripping process won’t take long on newer CPUs and CPUs which support Intel quick sync, AMD acceleration, or Nvidia CUDA hardware acceleration technologies.
Well if you are the one who still prefers DVDs over expensive online content, UHDs, and Blu-rays, then DVDFab DVD ripper is your best DVD to MKV converter. Below are some solid reasons for choosing DVDFab DVD Ripper.
• DVDFab is widely used to convert DVD to MKV. It has a long history of more than 15 years, that’s why it understands all your DVD converting or ripping needs.
• With DVDFab DVD Ripper you can rip DVD to MKV or nearly 45+ common and uncommon audio/video formats. It provides device-specific pre-configured video profiles too and the list is quite big too.
• DVDFab DVD Ripper uses several hardware acceleration technologies from Intel, Nvidia, and AMD which are used to boost the conversion process without excessively stressing out the CPU. So it can convert DVD to MKV fast.
• Works with DVD ISOs and folders that most of the other free software won’t even recognize.
• Advanced video editing tools in this DVD to MKV converter will take care of several needs like subtitles editing, multi trims, crop, watermarks etc.
So, we just rip or convert DVD to MKV, MP4, AVI or other formats using DVDFab DVD ripper. The software is highly useful because of its features and functions. If you are looking to convert your DVDs to 45+ video formats then you don’t need to research the internet for the right software, because DVDFab DVD Ripper will be the correct answer to your questions of DVD ripping or conversion.
This DVD to MKV ripper has all the features that a DVD movie collector/owner looks for converting DVDs to common video formats. To avail the full potential of this software you should check the paid version instead of the free which provides only two output video formats. You can always try the software in full trial mode before purchasing.
For ripping Blu-ray to video formats, please have a look at how to convert Blu-rays to MKV/MP4/M2TS/AVI.
① Rip and convert DVDs to watch on PCs, smartphones, tablets, etc.
② Extract the audio tracks from DVDs and output as pure audio files
③ Support all the popular audio & video formats like MP3, MP4, MKV, etc.
④ Support to edit the videos like cropping, trimming, and more
⑤ Support GPU hardware acceleration to convert much faster