How to Convert MTS to MP4?
Summary: How to convert MTS to MP4? This article gives the detailed steps of converting MTS to MP4 with a desktop MTS to MP4 converter, an online video converter and VLC player.
An MTS file is a type of video file that has been encoded in high-definition (HD) MPEG Transport Stream video format, commonly called "AVCHD". These are high-resolution files that have HD video content compatible with Blu-ray disc format and supports both 720p and 1080i HD video formats. These files are usually created by Panasonic and Sony camcorders, the companies that jointly created it in 2006.
MP4 video format files on the other hand are short form for MPEG-4 Part 14 which are container files developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group. These files are internet friendly and can be streamed over the internet. MP4 files have compressed video and audio using AAC compression. As a result of this compression, the same MP4 videos are approximately 2/3rd of the same MTS videos.
While MTS files contain much more detail than MP4, the aim of that is to enable you to filter what you need and finally store the files in a format that is better for your use. That is why it makes sense to store your files as MP4 after you are done with processing the MTS videos. Also, while MTS files are compatible with Windows Media Player, they are not a good choice if you want to share the videos online. So in this article we will see how to convert MTS to MP4 file format.
How to convert MTS to MP4 with the DVDFab Video Converter
DVDFab Video Converter comes inbuilt with support for multiple audio-video file formats some of which are 3D MKV.H.265, 3D MP4.H.265 3D MP4.4K, 3D MKV.4K, MP4.H.265, MKV.265, MP4.4K, MKV.4K, etc. Let us see how DVDFab Video Converter can convert MTS to MP4 in just a few clicks.
1. Download DVDFab Video Converter depending on your operating system. It is available for both Windows and Mac. Run the installer file and follow the installation instructions.
2. Launch the software and on the home screen, drag your MTS files or a whole folder of MTS files.
3. Open the Profile Switcher menu by clicking on the button just below the DVDFab 10 logo with the arrow right sign, click on Format tab, select Video in the left bar and now select the MP4 option.
4. Optional – In addition to giving you tools to convert MTS to MP4, DVDFab Video Converter also has tools to edit your video. You can Trim, Crop, add Watermark, add Subtitles and even adjust the Brightness, Contrast and Saturation level of the output file converter from MTS to MP4.
5. Optional – DVDFab 10 allows you to do some Advanced Settings in case you have a good knowledge about video formats. You can do these settings before your convert your MTS file to MP4 using the software itself. A few settings that you can change are changing the Codec, Resolution, Encoding Method, Video Quality, Frame Rate, etc. Most of these setting are common across video formats and so for future, you can save these settings as default using the “Save my profile” option.
6. Click on the Start button to start the conversion of MTS to MP4. While the conversion is going on, you can decide what do to once the conversion is completed. This is highly useful if there are a lot of files or the files are huge is size and will take quite some time to complete. You can set the program to Shutdown the computer or just close the application once the conversion from MTS to MP4 is complete.
So that’s it! That is how to convert MTS to MP4 using DVDFab Video Converter. This application provides you a host of features to not only do batch conversion of files from MTS to MP4 but also gives you the best output quality possible. Along with the Video Editor and the Advanced features, this is your one-stop solution to convert MTS to MP4.
How to convert MTS to MP4 using free online tool
In case you don’t want to install any software for converting MTS to MP4 and you file size is small, then you can consider an online tool like Zamzar Online Video Converter.
1. Open the website using the link above and select the file you want to convert from MTS to MP4. You can select multiple files for conversion.
2. Select MP4 from the drop-down in Step 2.
3. In Step 3 enter your email address and in Step 4 click on the Convert button to start the upload and conversion process.
4. You will receive an email when the conversion process is complete along with link(s) to download the converted files.
How to convert MTS to MP4 using VLC media player
VLC media player is a free tool for both Windows and Mac. While the primary feature of VLC is playing video and audio, it can also convert videos from one format to another. Let’s see how to convert MTS to MP4 using VLC.
1. Click on the Media option in the Menu bar and select Convert/Save option or directly use Ctrl+R shortcut from your keyboard.
2. In the Add Media window, add all the files you want to convert from MTS to MP4. Click on the Convert/Save button.
3. In the next Window, make sure the Settings Radio button is select. In the Destination section, click on the Browse button. It will open the Windows default Save window. In the “Save as Type” drop-down, select MP4, give a file name or leave it default and click on Save button.
4. Click on the Start button to convert the MTS file to MP4.
That completes the steps on how to convert MTS to MP4 using VLC media player.
If you own a camcorder and your recorded videos are in MTS format then using free tools won’t satisfy your needs for video conversion because more often than not, you will also need to edit some part of the video, change brightness or contrast, reduce frame rate and alter many other video properties. If you have invested your money to buy a good camcorder, then it also makes sense to spend some money to buy a good video converter too like DVDFab Video Converter which takes care of all your video conversion and video editing needs. And since it supports many other audio-video conversion types and not just MTS to MP4, there are a lot of use cases you will find for it in your life if you are constantly dealing with video creation and editing.