4K UHD Player
DVDFab Free Download
Get 30-Day Free Trial
Use DVDFab to copy, rip and create DVDs/Blu-rays, convert videos, and remove Cinavia and DRM
macOS 10.10 - 10.14
Ubuntu 16.04 and above
2019-11-13 04:01:04 Posted by Rebecca
Summary: Extracting and adding subtitles may seem like a difficult job but it’s actually easier than it sounds when you’re using a right MKV subtitles extractor. Now follow us to see how to extract subtitles from MKV files.
The Most Complete DVD/Blu-ray/4K UHD Solutions
Subtitles are one of the best features in a movie as they allow you to watch it and understand what’s going on even if you don’t know anything about that movie’s original language. However, every now and again you might run into a situation where a movie doesn’t have very good subtitles and you may want to edit them or replace them with different ones. But in order to do that, you first need to learn how to extract subtitles from MKV videos so that you can then add them to a different file. Extracting and adding subtitles may seem like a difficult job but don’t worry because it’s actually easier than it sounds when you’re using the right set of tools.
DVDFab Video Converter is a tool that comes with many great features, including the ability to extract certain types of subtitles. Although primarily a video converter, the software can also be used to extract audio, edit and customize videos, extract subtitles from MKV and many other file types, and more. The software also supports pretty much any type of format you can think of, including 4K and 3D. Here’s how the subtitle extraction feature works:
1. Open DVDFab 11 and go the Converter module. Load the video you want extract subtitles from using the “Add” button or by simply dragging the file into the main UI.
2. With the file now loaded, click the wrench icon to bring up the Advanced Settings menu. Here, look towards the button for an additional sub-menu related to subtitles. This menu contains multiple options but for this particular scenario, we’re going to need the option labeled “Extract to idx/sub file” so make sure you pick that one. While you’re there, feel free to make any other changes to the file and then click OK to save your changes.
3. We only want to extract subtitles from an MKV file in this example but you can use the Profile Switcher in the upper right corner to also convert your files to a different format, however, keep in mind that the Video Converter can only extract subtitles from certain formats. Another optional step is to open up the Video Edit menu in order to trim or crop the file while you’re at it.
4. Regardless of whether you just want to extract subtitles from the MKV or you want to make any other changes, pick a destination folder from the bottom menu and then click the Start button to begin the extraction process.
MKVToolNix is a collection of tools designed to help users manipulate MKV files. The software contains tools for everything ranging from editing and merging files to splitting, demuxing, and extracting subtitles. The downside of MKVToolNix is that you need to be somewhat tech-savvy in order to use it as this is a command line tool that looks fairly intimidating to inexperienced users. However, you can make things a lot easier by combining MKVToolNix with GUI software like MKVExtract or Inviska MKV Extract. We recommend Inviska because it’s minimalistic and very easy to use.
1. First things first, make sure you download and install the correct version of MKVToolNix for your specific operating system and then do the same for the Inviska MKV Extract software.
2. Open Inviska and click File -> Add Files to load the files to extract subtitles from. Under File, there’s also a Preferences option that lets you make certain changes to the files so use that as well if needed.
3. In to extract subtitles from the MKV files you loaded, click the little arrow next to one of the files to open up a new menu. Check the box next to the subtitle track you want to extract (you can select multiple if available) or use the batch extract options to the right if you’re working with more than one file. Also, use check the Extract timestamps and Extract cues boxes if necessary.
4. Click the little folder icon at the bottom to select the destination folder and then hit Begin to extract subtitles from the MKV files you selected.
Now that you know how to extract subtitles from MKV files it’s worth learning a bit about how to edit, remove or add them because it’s very useful to know about these aspects as well. Luckily, you don’t need to use a bunch of different tools in order to perform these tasks because you can do all of them with DVDFab Video Converter. In addition to subtitle extraction, the tool can also be used to add or remove subtitles from MKV files, edit them, and convert files along with any subtitle tracks you choose to keep. Here’s an example of how to add them using slightly different steps than in the earlier example:
1. Just like before, open DVDFab 11, go to the Converter module and load the MKV file/s you want to add subtitles to.
2. Open the Video Edit menu and then click the Subtitle icon to load the subtitle file you want to add to the video. Pick a suitable file and then use the options menus to edit and customize the subtitles if necessary. Click OK to save the changes.
3. Go back to the main UI and check under Subtitle to make sure the right track is selected. Here is where you can also remove subtitles if needed, which is done by clicking the None option.
4. Pick the destination folder, click Start, and wait until the software finishes processing your file.
There are multiple tools out there that allow you to extract subtitles from MKV files but only a handful of them are truly worth checking out. We recommend first trying DVDFab Video Converter because it’s one of the most powerful tools out there when it comes to handling subtitles. MKVToolNix is a decent alternative but it’s pretty difficult to use and requires installing multiple GUI tools if you want to not only extract subtitles from MKV files but also edit, add or remove them. Meanwhile, DVDFab Video Converter can do all of that while also allowing you to convert and edit the videos themselves so don’t hesitate to give it a try.
The top-notch video downloader software to download online videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, and 1000+ other popular audio & video sharing websites.
Rip DVDs to various video/audio formats
Rip Blu-rays to various video/audio formats
Rip UHD Blu-rays to various video formats
Are you looking for some party rap songs to play on your party? Check the article to find the top 10 best party rap songs till 2018.
There are a number of popular Christian artists in numerous music genres. Here we will list top 25 Christian artists that have brought us beautiful Christian songs.
Selena Marie Gomez is an American singer, actress, and producer. If you love her songs, you should have a look at this list of her latest songs. Here we will also show you how to download her songs from YouTube.