4K UHD Player
DVDFab Free Download
Get 30-Day Free Trial
Use DVDFab to copy, rip and create DVDs/Blu-rays, convert videos, and remove Cinavia and DRM
macOS 10.10 - 10.14
Ubuntu 16.04 and above
2019-03-19 00:00:49 Posted by Rebecca
Summary: Do you want to remove subtitles from MKV files? Here we are going to show you how to remove either soft subtitles or hard subtitles from MKV files with subtitles extractor.
The Most Complete DVD/Blu-ray/4K UHD Solutions
Watching a foreign movie or TV show with subtitles is a great way of learning a different language. But what if you already know that language? Well, in that case subtitles are more of a nuisance than anything and can actually limit your enjoyment of the movie or show. Luckily, that are tools that were designed precisely for such an occasion and can help you remove unwanted subtitles from any type of media content. With that in mind, today we’re going to teach you how to remove subtitles from MKV files while also talking a bit about the two categories of subtitles you might encounter.
Before you try to remove subtitles from MKV movies and shows you need to know what kind of subtitles you’re dealing with. There are only two types you need to worry about, namely soft subtitles and hard subtitles. Soft subtitles are a bit more common and are easy to recognize because they often (but not always, because sometimes they are encoded into MKV, MP4 or other videos as internal subtitles) come in a different file than the rest of the movie. The most important aspect to remember about soft subtitles is that they are not built into the video and thus can be turned on or off. In the case of soft subtitles with multiple language variants, users can also manually select which variant to use.
The situation is a bit different when it comes to hard subtitles. These types of subtitles are embedded into the video itself and cannot be removed as easily because of that. You also won’t know if a file has subtitles unless you start playing that file. Although a bit more annoying that soft subs, removing hard subtitles from MKVs isn’t that big of a problem if you have a specialized tool at your disposal. Case in point, a tool like DVDFab Video Converter can be used to remove both soft and hard subtitles from MKV files. Let’s take a look at how it works.
1. Open DVDFab 11 and go to the Converter module. Load an MKV with soft subtitles by using the Add/Add from Mobile button or by using the drag & drop method.
2. Open the menu located under Subtitles. Among other things, here you can choose which of the available subtitle tracks you want to appear in the output and you can also use this menu to add your own external subtitles. In addition, you can also remove all soft subtitles from MKV files by simply selecting the “None” option.
3. Before you start the conversion, you can make a few other adjustments to the file. For example, the Profile Switcher located in the upper left corner will let you convert the file to a different format while the Advanced Settings and Video Edit menus will allow you to edit and customize the output. Feel free to experiment with all of the options if you want to make changes or simply skip to the last step if you just want to remove the soft subtitles while keeping the original file otherwise identical.
4. Use the bottom menu to pick a suitable location for the output file. In order to permanently remove the soft subtitles from your MKV video simply press the Start button and wait until the software finishes processing your file.
1. Just like in the first example, open DVDFab 11 and go to the Converter module to get started. However, this time load an MKV file with hard subtitles.
2. Simply choosing “None” under the subtitles menu will not work this time so we’re going to use the cropping tool to remove the subtitles from the MKV file. You can access this tool by opening the Video Edit menu we mentioned earlier and then clicking the second icon labeled crop video.
3. Subtitles usually appear near the bottom so the easiest way to crop them out is by grabbing the box on the left from the bottom and dragging it upwards until you no longer see the subtitles on the box on the right. The right box shows you a preview of the output so you can get a good idea of how the video will look like after conversion. You can also remove hard subtitles from MKV videos by using the using the “Distance to Edge” set of options found underneath. Here, simply insert a value in the box labeled “Bottom” to get started and then modify it further if needed by using the little arrow keys. A value of around 70-80 should work well for most movies but feel free to experiment to see what works best for you.
4. The final step is again identical to the one described in the first example. Set your destination folder and then click the Start button when you’re ready to remove the subtitles from your MKV file.
DVDFab Video Converter allows anyone to quickly remove subtitles from MKV files. The process works a bit differently depending on whether you have soft or hard subtitles but with the help of this article, you should be able to easily get rid of both. In addition to its ability to remove subtitles from MKV files, the software is also a great video converter that supports all major formats and can be used to edit videos in a variety of other ways. DVDFab Video Converter has a free trial so don’t hesitate to download it and see for yourself how it works.
The top-notch video downloader software to download online videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, and 1000+ other popular audio & video sharing websites.
Rip DVDs to various video/audio formats
Rip Blu-rays to various video/audio formats
Rip UHD Blu-rays to various video formats
There are many country music videos on YouTube, so how to pick out those great country songs? Don’t worry. Here we have made a list of top 30 best YouTube country songs for you to enjoy.
It is very likely that you have been using YTD Video Downloader for a long time. But your using experience may tell you that YTD Video Downloader fails to meet your need completely though it is well evaluated. So what are the alternatives to YTD Video Downloader? If you happen to need an answer, please read this article.
You may be looking to download Dailymotion to MP4, right? Here we are going to share some tools which will let you convert and download Dailymotion videos in MP4 format.
Take Quiz, Win Free Order