Top 11 Best Free DVD Makers 2023
Summary: If you’re looking for free DVD maker software to burn videos onto DVDs, there are many options available for both Windows and Mac computers. With the right DVD maker software, you can easily create DVDs from various video file formats and add menus to your creations.
Table of Contents
- Part 2: Best Free DVD Makers to Make a Stylish DVD
The greatest peace lies in knowing that even if your computer hard disk, unfortunately, happens to crash, your videos and important data will still remain intact and viewable. So you need to save these files and data or write them on a DVD disk. Then ask for a DVD maker for help.
In order to write or “burn” these data onto a DVD, you will need a DVD authoring tool. Thankfully with the advancement in technology, today we have multitudes of free DVD makers for Windows and Mac available over the Internet. Now, let's delve into these top options to explore each software’s unique capabilities and how they can cater to your disc burning needs.
In order to make a DVD from MP4 or other formats of files with a menu, you need to prepare four things in advance. They are a DVD writer, a blank DVD, a qualified DVD creator, as well as your video/audio/image files. Among them, it is obvious that a DVD creator matters a lot. So, we are going to explore which one to adopt from the 11 free DVD makers below. Read them one by one and choose the best tool as your need.
For all those who are looking for an advanced DVD maker to use on your Windows PC or Mac, you must try out the DVDFab DVD Creator software. This software is able to burn more than 200 video formats into all sorts of DVD formats, be they homemade, recorded, or downloaded. The output DVD with high-quality video and audio can be played on most media players or home theatres. Here are its main features:
💡Available on: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 & macOS 10.10 - 13
- Make DVDs, ISO files or Folders from 200+ video formats.
- Output high-quality DVD-5/9, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL.
- Come with built-in free and customized DVD menu templates.
- Auto synchronize the source meta info, such as the movie title, cast, and cover.
- Support batch DVD making at GPU-hardware accelerated burning speed.
- Preview your video at any time during the burning process.
- Blu-ray maker is also available but is not free.
- Video editing features are only built-in its DVD/Blu-ray Ripper module.
How to Use DVDFab DVD Creator to Make a DVD from Your Video File:
Step 1: Get the best free DVD maker software launched on Windows or Mac. Launch the software and click "Creator" and set the mode as DVD. Then click the "+" icon or drag your movie to the main interface directly.
Step 2: Customize your DVD video. Click the option of Advanced Settings and set the volume label, output DVD format, video quality and playback mode. You can also set TV standard format as NTSC or PAL and aspect ratio as 16:9 or 4:3. Then go back to the main interface and you can select audio tracks and subtitles, or add external subtitles.
Then click the option of Menu Settings to open the built-in DVD menu creator and choose your favorite menu template to apply to your file. You can also customize all the elements and widgets inside the templates, such as background art, thumbnails, text font, color, size, audio track, subtitle, playback buttons, and so on.
Step 3: In the lower-left corner, there is a "Save to button" where you can set the output video directory as a DVD disc, DVD folder, or DVD ISO file. Finally, click the button of "Start" and wait for DVDFab DVD Maker to burn your movies to a DVD 5 or DVD 9.
Freemake free DVD burning software is a free DVD maker that offers high-quality disc writing and editing. It can burn up to video files to multiple disc formats, including DVD-R, DVD+R, Blu-ray, Double Layer DVD, and rewritable data discs, ISO files, folders. Freemake also allows up to 40 hours of any video content on one disc.
💡Available on: Windows 11, 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista
- Support to burn 62 video formats to both DVDs and Blu-rays.
- Burn images and photos to a DVD.
- Its editing features allow you to crop, trim, flip, rotate, subtitle and preview videos.
- Allow you to choose a stylish menu template or upload a local image.
- Don't offer customized and editing options for menu templates.
- When you download this DVD maker, be careful of the installation of adware named Pluto TV, which is not a virus but will hide in both your operating system and your web browser.
- Many features appear free but are actually not when you try to use them.
How to create a DVD out of a video with Freemake Video Converter:
Step 1: Drag your video to Freemake Video Converter (supporting batch import).
Step 2: Customize it through the “Subtitle” and with the video editors under each video. Then enable the option of “Join files” in the upper-right corner.
Step 3: Click “to DVD” at the bottom and name the DVD, choose its destination folder, menu and video quality. Finally, click the button of “Burn”.
Wondershare DVD Creator is a comprehensive tool that allows you to burn videos in 150 formats onto various disc types, including DVD-9 and DVD-5; DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, ISO files, Folders and Blu-ray discs. It includes a built-in video editor for trimming, cropping, enhancing videos and adding watermarks or subtitles. This software also serves as an efficient CD burner, supporting all audio formats.
💡Available on: Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP & Mac OS X 10.10 or later
- Burn 150+ video formats to both DVD and Blu-ray disc.
- Convert images/videos/music to data discs.
- DVD Menu templates with different themes and customized options.
- Video editor allows you to trim, crop, add watermark and transition effects and background music.
- It features a smart slideshow maker to create photo slideshows with music and transition settings.
- Blu-ray burning is not available on the Mac version.
- Limited DVD menu templates and video editing features in the free version.
- The output DVD video is watermarked in the free version.
- Too many extra features make it a little complex to use.
How to Make a DVD with Wondershare DVD Creator:
Step 1: Download and install Wondershare DVD Maker to your Windows or Mac. Start the software and import your videos or images.
Step 2: Edit your video by clicking the “Pencil” icon (Optional). Then choose your favorite DVD menu template for you video or you can design you own menu.
Step 3: Preview the video and save it as DVD, ISO or Folder. Finally, choose output folder and click “Burn” to start DVD making.
Windows DVD Maker was a free DVD making software program that was included in some editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. The software allowed users to create DVD slideshows and videos for playback on media devices . It supported various types of video, picture and audio files and could be used to create custom DVDs with menus, slide shows, and music.
💡Available on: Windows Vista / 7 (Home, Professional, Ultimate, and other editions)
- Burn 60 video formats to multiple DVD discs, such as DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-ROM.
- Create slideshows from images and burn them onto a DVD disc.
- Add transition effects and music to slideshow compilations.
- Preview what your DVD video will look before burning.
- Includes more than 20 animated menu templates and over 10 frame templates for user-customized DVD menus.
- Support video input from Microsoft only.
- Don't support Blu-ray burning.
- Lack of video editor and customized features for DVD Menu.
How to create DVD from Microsoft video with Windows DVD Maker:
Step 1: Get Windows DVD Maker launched on your Windows and import your Microsoft video to this software.
Step 2: Choose one menu style you like. Then, add music and transition effects if you need.
Step 3: Set the output destination and create your DVD.
WinX DVD Author is a user-friendly and free DVD maker that supports various video formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, VOB, FLV, MOV, ISO and more. The software empowers users to easily burn videos to DVD discs and create personalized DVDs with custom menus, subtitles, background image and music.
💡Available on: Windows 10 / 11
- Burn multiple video formats to DVD±R/±RW, DVD DL+R, DVD DL±RW.
- Create DVD menu by selecting templates or pictures on PC.
- Trim videos before burning.
- Keep the original video and audio quality.
- Make DVDs at fast burning speed.
- Unable to read all kinds of MP4 videos.
- Unable to create ISO files, folders, and Blu-ray discs.
- Sometimes it takes long time to launch the software.
- Lack of advanced menu settings.
- Lack of video editor and customized features for DVD Menu.
How to make a with Winx DVD Author:
Step 1: Install and open WinX DVD Author on your Windows PC. Insert a blank DVD into your disc drive.
Step 2: Click "Video DVD Author" then use the "+" button to load your videos. Then adjust settings such as order, subtitles, video trimming, aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9), creating a DVD menu.
Step 3: Click "Start" to convert and make your DVD.
DVD Flick is a free, powerful and user-friendly DVD making software. It enables conversion of various video files into a DVD format compatible with most players and home cinema sets. Users can add custom audio tracks, subtitles, navigate through menus easily, and enhance videos with effects.
💡Available on: Windows 2000 Professional, or any edition of Windows XP / Vista / 7
- Burn 45 file formats, 60 video codecs, and 40 audio codecs to DVD discs.
- Add audio tracks, subtitles, menu to your videos.
- It is free and ease to use.
- Lack of customized menu settings.
- The output DVD quality is unsatisfactory.
- Sometime the audio and video are out of sync.
- Unable to make ISO files, folders, and Blu-ray discs.
How to create a DVD with DVD Flick:
Step 1: Get DVD Flick started on your Windows
Step 2: Open “Project settings” > “Burning” > choose “Burn project to disc”/“Speed” ... > “Accept”.
Step 3: Click “Add title” on the right > Locate your video > Create DVD
iSkysoft DVD Creator also allows you to burn movies to DVD.
- Burn videos/Photo to a DVD disc or ISO file
- Video editor: crop/trim/rotate/enhance video; add image/text/watermark/subtitles
- DVD menu: Yes
- Input video formats : MOV, MKV, MPEG, MP4, AVI,WMV,MTS, TS, VOB, M4V, FLV, MPG, MOD
- Output: DVD disc/folders/ISO files (Self-made or downloaded from YouTube, Facebook, etc.)
- Compatible with Windows and Mac
How to Create a DVD from a MOD Video with iSkysoft DVD Creator:
(1) Download iSkysoft DVD Creator and start it
(2) Click “Create a New Project”
(3) Add pictures or Videos
(4) Choose a menu template
(5) Customize the video based on your needs
(6) Click “Burn” in the toolbar and choose its output format like “Save as ISO”
(7) Start burning the file and locate it by clicking “Open Folder”
Avi2DVD is surely one of the best free DVD makers. This application has been designed for a very professional look and offers a variety of useful features too. It comes with an intuitive interface that has been created with minimal complications so that it remains free of clutter. It is therefore easy to use for even the newbies. All the buttons and controls can be found out easily. It can be used to work with HD videos in mkv, avi, and mp4 formats. Avi2Dvd can run in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.
Sothink DVD Movie Maker is available on Windows computers. You can write your DVDs using any file format, since it supports a large number of file formats like MP4, WMA, AVI, MKV, 3GP, TS, VOB, M4V, and others. The best feature about this free DVD maker is that you can also save the DVD file in the ISO format or some different DVD format.
As a popular open source DVD author, the DVD Styler is a powerful application with an attractive layout that also easy to operate. It is so simple to use that you will not need any extra knowledge for creating DVDs using it. You will also not need to refer to the user manual of this software too.
Working on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems, this DVD maker freeware supports a wide variety of file formats which include MPEG, MP4, AVI, WMV, and OGG among others. It also allows you to include subtitles or audio files to make interesting videos.
This free DVD maker application helps you to design your own DVDs in the shortest time and very easily too. DeVeDe comes with all the basic features using which you can create as per your choice. Moreover, it also allows you to create VCD, Super video CD, CVD and DivX, and others.
There are various additional features included in this movie maker. You can add information about your video, for example, original size of the video, final size, mention the aspect ratio of its output and so on. Other video properties like audio rate, video rate, video format of the output, the scaling mode etc can also be included to make it technically rich. DeVeDe is available for Windows Vista, 7, 8, & 10.
These are the top 10 free DVD makers to create a DVD with a menu template. For a certain reason or another, none of them can be regarded as the No.1 software. So, you might as well make a decision after seeing the last but the most advanced and professional DVD maker - DVDFab DVD Creator.
Which is the best free DVD maker in your mind with so many programs introduced? They all support the latest and slightly older versions of Windows or Mac and can be used to keep your videos and important data safe and portable. And to get all the exciting features in a single DVD creator software, don’t forget to check out the DVDFab application.