How to Copy Encrypted DVDs to Hard Drive?
Summary: Do you want to save your favorite movies or TV shows from encrypted DVDs onto your hard drive for easy personal access? Learn how to do it easily and securely with simple steps using the best DVD copy and ripping software from DVDFab.
Table of Contents
Before we talking about something about copying protected DVDs, let’s see what encrypted DVDs mean. Encrypted DVDs are DVDs that have been encoded with a digital protection mechanism to prevent unauthorized access and copying of their content. Common DVD copy protections include CSS (Content Scramble System), region coding, Sony ARccOS protection, RipGuard.
For example, The CSS method simply encrypts or scrambles the video data on a DVD so that it can’t be viewed or copied illegally. A DVD-ROM or a DVD player which should be CSS licensed can only play those encrypted DVDs because these players can decrypt those encrypted DVDs. Not all DVD ROMs and players are licensed by CSS. So if you own an encrypted DVD for which you have paid the money, you are allowed to decrypt and copy that DVD to a hard drive for your personal entertainment instead of commercial use. In this article, we will show you how you can do this. Or you can watch this short video to get your answer quickly.
Here we introduce DVDFab DVD Copy to show you how to copy proetcted DVDs to your own hard drive. DVDFab DVD Copy not only decrypts any encrypted DVDs but also lets you save your encrypted DVDs as DVD folders or ISO files which can be played on CSS-unlicensed DVD ROMs and players.
Key Features of DVDFab DVD Copy:
- Auto-detect and remove any encrypted DVD, even newly purchased ones
- Work with DVDFab DVD Cinavia Removal to remove cinavia proetctions
- Copy DVD discs to DVD-9 or DVD-5, or save them as ISO files or Folders on HDD
- Support six copy modes: full discs, main movie, split, merge, customize, and clone/burn
- Support bacth coping at GPU-accelerated speed
- Synchronize all the meta information of the source DVD while coping
Here’s a quick tutorial on how to copy a protected DVD using the DVDFab DVD Copy:
Step 1: Download and install DVDFab 12 for either Mac or Windows system
Step 2: Insert your encrypted DVD disc into DVD ROM drive and select a Copy Mode
Launch DVDFab DVD Copy and click the "Copy" tab. The program should automatically load the disc. If not, then click the big "Add" button and select the DVD ROM to load the disc. Then choose a copy mode like "Main Movie".
Step 3: Customize the output decrypted DVD
Then you will see the mian interface as shown. DVDFab has automatically removed the DVD encryption during loading the source DVD disc. Click "Info" to check all the removed copy protections.
Next, you can click the "Output size dropdown menu" to select either "DVD5" or "DVD9", and also personalize DVD subtitles, menus, audio tracks, preferred sections, and other details you want.
Step 4: Select an output directory and start the coping process
When you are ready to create ISO from DVD, or create a Folder on your hard drive, click the "Save ISO" or "Save Folder" button and choose the location where you want to save a copy of your encrypted DVD disc. Finally, click the "Start" button and wait till the process completes.
Note: If you want to copy your DVD in a 1:1 lossless ratio then select the "Clone/Burn" function from the "Copy Mode Switcher".
Another method to copy protected DVDs is to rip encrypted DVDs to digital video formats. DVD ripping simply means converting the DVD discs to other digital video formats. So that we can save and play those DVD video files on multiple media players. In this part, we are introducing DVDFab DVD Ripper which can decrypt and rip encrypted DVDs.
Key Features of DVDFab DVD Ripper:
- Remove protections from newly purchased DVD disc
- Rip and convert DVD to any video & audio format without lossing quality
- Rip DVD to more than 260 preset mobile devices
- Support multitasking mode at lightning-fast speed
- Offer a built-in video editor to customize and edit your video
- Upscale DVD video resolution from 480p to 1080p with DVDFab Enlarger AI
Here’s a tutorial below to convert encrypted DVDs to digital formats with DVDFab DVD Ripper:
Step 1: Open the DVDFab 12 program and click the "Ripper" tab. Insert the DVD disc and load it into the program.
Step 2: After you load the disc the following information will appear in the program window. Click "Info" button to check what copy protection is embedded in your DVD.
- Click the audio select button will let you select multiple audio languages.
- The "Subtitle" option will let you select multiple subtitles and you can also unselect some of them if not required.
- Click the "Profile Dropdown Menu" to choose output video format or mobile device of your choice.
- The "Advanced Settings" "Video Edit" and buttons allow you to change the video settings and edit the outptu video, such as cropping, trimming, merging, adding watermarks and subtitles, and even adjusting video color as you like.
Step 3: After that, select "Mobile Device" or "Folder" as the output destination and click the "Start"button to start ripping the encrypted DVD disc and save them on your desired hard drive.
So you now know how to decrypt encrypted DVD discs, and copy and save them as ISO or a folder on your PC’s hard disk. You also learned to rip encrypted DVDs to other video formats that you can save on your hard drive. The interesting thing is that the DVD Copy software and DVD Ripper from DVDFab will automatically remove encryption without letting us know about it. We were only copying and ripping those encrypted DVDs as if they were never encrypted.