How to Edit Videos on Windows Movie Maker?
Posted by Amanda
Summary: How to edit videos on Windows Movie Maker? Here we will give the steps of editing videos with Windows Movie Maker. We will also recommend you a more powerful alternative for Windows 7/8/10.
The 25-In-1 Versatile Solution PackageDVDFab 11 is a 25-In-1 bundle that offers the world’s most complete solution on video, DVD, Blu-ray and 4K UHD Blu-ray, such as the backup, conversion and authoring solutions, Cinavia removal solutions, DRM removal solutions, AI-powered video enhancing solutions, and more.
During the days of Windows XP, and earlier versions, Windows Movie Maker was the go-to tool for editing videos to make them look presentable. You could do a lot of things like adding, voice over, adding transitions, trim, split, and many other things. This used to be a complete package for normal video editing. Moreover, it was not for professional video editors. But, for students and normal office videos, it was more than enough.
But, Microsoft later discontinued it in Windows 7, 8, and in 10 as well. However, it can be downloaded from the internet as standalone software, and run on these OS versions. In this article, we are going to talk how to edit videos on Windows Movie Maker. Let’s check out how different things can be done using Windows Movie Maker.
Part 1: How to Edit Videos on Windows Movie Maker?
How to Add Videos from Hard Drive to Windows Movie Maker?
1. Launch Windows Movie Maker
2. In the Home tab, click “Add Videos and Photos”.
3. Select the photos and videos and click “Open”, and all of the selected photos and videos will be on the Windows Movie Maker Timeline.
Alternatively, you can just drag and drop videos and photos to Windows Movie Maker to add them.
How to Split Videos in Windows Movie Maker?
1. Choose a video clip that you want to split.
2. You can see “Split” option in the “Edit” tab.
3. Now, put the cursor on the point from where you want to split the clip. For this, drag the long black cursor into the middle of the clip or wherever you want.
4. Once the cursor is set at the point from where you want to split the video, go to Edit tab, and click “Split.”
5. Thiswill divide the clip in two separate video clips
How to Speed Up or Slow Down Videos in Windows Movie Maker?
Slowing down or speeding up the video is quite easy in Windows Movie Maker.
1. Select the video.
2. Go to Edit tab, and click Speed
3. Select the speed you want, and the speed will be changed. Moreover, when you edit the speed, audio is muted because due to the speed of the video, audio’s pitch gets affected, so the tool removes it.
How to Change the Volume of a Video?
It is quite easy to increase or decrease the volume of a video in Windows Movie Maker. You just have to select the video. Then go to Edit tab, and click the video Volume button, and drag it to slider. Apart from this, you can do audio fade in and fade out as well for a video.
These are how to edit videos on Windows Movie Maker. Additionally, you can add transitions to the videos that give a good viewing experience to the videos. There are much more features Windows Movie Maker offers which you can explore while actually using it.
Video editing with windows movie makeris fun and easy, but unfortunately, this is a discontinued product from Microsoft which means you won’t get any support from the team if you encounter any issue. But, you can still download it from the web, and install on your computer to use it.
So, if you have normal video editing work, then edit video using Windows Movie Maker quickly.
Part 2: The Best Tool to Convert and Edit Videos
Windows Movie Maker is still a great tool, but since it is discontinued, you cannot get support from Microsoft. So, why not using some other tool to Convert and Edit videos?
Yes, we have a software DVDFab Video Converter which is a great tool to convert one format to another and edit the videos in various ways. Of course, it is not an exact replacement of Windows Movie Maker because they work differently with quite different features but obviously a great tool for converting and editing videos.
DVDFab Video Converter is a module of DVDFab 11 that allows you to convert any video format to another without any degrades in the quality of the video. The conversion is quick, and it supports almost all popular multimedia formats.
Below are the steps to Convert a video from one format to another using DVDFab Video Converter
1. Download DVDFab Video Converter on your computer. Once downloaded, run the setup to install it.
2. As it is installed, launch it. You will see the brand new UI of DVDFab 11.
3. Click “Converter” to switch to Converter module.
4. Either click the + icon in the middle to select the video which you want to convert to another format, or you can simply drag the video to the tool. For example, we have selected an MKV video file which we want to convert to MP4 format.
5. Once the video is added to the process queue,go to profile selector, and select the format you want to convert to, and then click “Start” to begin the conversion process.
6. The conversion process will begin, and in a few moments, there will be a pop displayed saying “Process completed successfully”.
Now, the video is converted from MKV to MP4 in just a few clicks. That is the simplicity and effectiveness of DVDFab Video Converter.
How to Edit Videos Using DVDFab Video Converter?
When the video is added to the converter module, you can see there are two options that you can click to open and make edits to the video as per the options are given there.
“Advance Settings” and “Video Edit”.
“Advanced Settings” will show various Audio/Video editing options that you can alter to make edits in the output video.
As you click “Video Edit”, a new screen will pop up as you can see in the below screenshot. It shows a lot of options such as cropping, trimming, brightness, contrast, and so on. You can use the options to edit the video to a certain extent.
That’show you can edit the videos using DVDFab Video Converter.
DVDFab Video Converter is a video editing software similar to Windows Movie Maker with some differences. Both are good in their own ways but Movie Maker is discontinued, and DVDFab Video Converter is a new generation converter and editor which you can use and get support from the team that developed it.
This article shows you how to edit videos with Windows Movie Maker and DVDFab Video Converter on Windows, but if you also are a Mac user, you can click how to edit videos on Mac to learn more.