Best Free Video Editor Updated 2022
Summary: The best free video editor is an excellent way to get started in videography and can be used to make simple edits to personal projects without spending any money. Though the best free video editing software falls short of the power and versatility offered by the best paid-for apps, they can get you close, especially if you're just getting started or working on very simple projects.
- • Offer diversified aspect ratio for display
- • Accept file or folder import like video, audio and image
- • Enable you to add text, filters, transitions, overlays and elements, mosaic
- • Allow you to rotate, split, crop, zoom in/out and edit your files in other ways
- • Output files in various formats of high quality
There is a lot of video editing software available, consisting of mobile applications, web-based packages, and desktop applications. There are a lot of applications that are offered free of cost as a promotion or trial version of a more robust paid version, but some remain entirely free in perpetuity.
Table of Contents
- DVDFab VideoCruise – Free online video editor
- 8 Most Effective Online Video Editor-free Software Available
Moreover, there are a lot of best video editing tools throughout the online market. Somehow, if you cannot find the best video editing tool to meet your requirements, you may want to look for any other free video editor online. No worries, you can use DVDFab VideoCruise to have the best video editing experience. You will be able to edit your videos according to your requirements.
Price: Free, $59.99
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
It is the best video editing tool you may have never seen earlier. DVDFab VideoCruise enables you to bring your imagination to life as its emphasis on the creative process lets you experiment with the ideas and have fun trying different things. This best free video editor comes with an easy-to-use interface, and even a new user can easily use it. Moreover, this video editor free download is powerful enough for the most demanding filmmakers.
- DVDFab VideoCruise splits your videos into small snippets.
- You can delete unnecessary (or unwanted) parts of a video.
- To show a specific segment of the original frame in the video, you can easily crop your image and video.
- It also enables you to flip and mirror your videos vertically and horizontally.
- With this video editor, you will be able to rotate your videos clockwise or anti-clockwise at 90 and 180 degrees.
- You will also be able to set the video duration to keep what you want in your video without cutting the snippets out.
- Also, the speed adjustment feature enables you to adjust the speed of your audio or video from 0.2x to 0.5x to create special effects.
- First, visit the website and purchase this video editor; you will get an activation key.
- Tap on "Activate" in the top right, but the activation key, and click on "OK."
- In the top right, click the "three dots" icon. Here you will find Settings, Language, Tutorial, Forum, Product Page, and About options.
- Tap on Settings to set the duration of the photo, text, transition, and filter. Here, you can also change the aspect ratio as per your requirements. Select your desired subtitle language and use your desired popular functions "Record voiceover" and "Convert to speech."
- When using DVDFab VideoCruise editor with a free plan, you will see a pop-up window showing three video aspect modes, Portrait, Widescreen, and Traditional. You can select one of them that meets your needs well.
- After that, you will enter the main feature's interface. Click the folder icon in the top left. You will be able to open the projects that you have edited earlier.
- Hit on "Edit" next to the file and then tap on the "Edit" option, which will direct you to Video, Color Correction, Audio interface.
- Click on "Export" to export the files you have created or edited.
- Moreover, you can also drag and drop files to the timeline for editing.
All of the alternatives listed above provide free trials, which are an excellent method to explore the full capabilities of the top editing tools available on the market. For those looking for constantly free video editing software, however, the options listed below should be considered. None of these can compete in terms of power and features with the paid-for options listed above, but they can be helpful for simple editing tasks and personal projects that don't require much processing power.
Let's have a look together at the best free video editing software;
Compatibility: Windows, macOS, and Linux are supported.
Are you looking for the best video editor online free of cost? Lightworks is the greatest free video editing program. It has a straightforward drag-and-drop user interface and advanced features such as Multicam and multi-track video editing, enabling you to combine recordings from numerous cameras into a single project. Additionally, it lets you collaborate and share projects with other users while editing movies in real-time.
The user interface is highly customizable, which is both a strength and a drawback; dragging windows across the interface to generate an infinite number of layout permutations might be difficult for newcomers. Fortunately, there are comprehensive video tutorials available to assist.
While the pro edition has additional features such as direct social media sharing and the ability to export videos in various formats, the free version is the most powerful free video editor you're likely to find on the internet. Plus, we recommend Free MP4 Video Editor to you.
- Real-time collaboration on projects
- In the background, import and export videos
- Editing video using multiple cameras
- Complex graphical user interface
- The free version is limited to rendering videos in the MPEG format.
Compatibility: Android, iOS
While most free video editing software for phones and tablets is very simple, KineMaster, which is available for Android, iPhone, and iPad, goes much more than you would expect from a free mobile app. It provides a simple, seamless interface and the ability to edit multiple layers and add handwriting and text annotations. Up to four audio recordings can be added and edited exactly at the image and sub-frame level.
What's the catch? You guessed correctly. Watermarks. To remove them, you must subscribe to the premium version, which is reasonably priced at $4.99/month or $39.99/year.
- Surprisingly large feature set appropriate for professionals
- well-known and widely used
- Slow on entry-level devices
Compatibility: Windows, macOS, and Linux are supported.
OpenShot is a capable and straightforward free video editor with useful added capabilities. Its simple drag-and-drop layer-based interface is easy for beginners to use, and you can stack an infinite number of layers in your film, including soundtracks, overlapping videos, and custom pictures. Additionally, OpenShot provides a variety of customizable title-card templates.
Crop, trim, rotate and resize all standard options for adjusting and enhancing your video. Additionally, you can modify brightness, contrast, color grading, and gamma. There are a few complex extras, but because the software is entirely free and open-source, there are no typical vexing advertisements, watermarks, or pitches for pricey upgrades.
Not everything, on the other hand, is ideal. There are latency issues, and specific capabilities do not function as intended in some cases (or when they work, they take a long time to apply, making the editing process frustrating). Openshot is an excellent choice if you want to remove watermarks and adverts from your videos and you are looking for a free video editing package. If you want to learn more ways to edit videos, you can turn to Best AI Alternatives to InShot Video & Photo Editor.
- Easy drag-and-drop user interface
- Free and open-source software
- Numerous layers
- Infrequent lag, sluggish response, bugs, and malfunctions
Compatibility: Windows, Macintosh, and Linux are supported.
If you want to know the best free online video editor no watermark, DaVinci Resolve will be the best solution. It is a free video editing app for professional 8K editing, color correction, visual effects, and sound effects in one app. It's so good that it's employed on high-budget film and television productions due to its robust color correction and audio capabilities.
In addition to the normal color of the skin, such as the line that alternates with the primary color circle, there is also face recognition and tracking, which helps you change the color of your skin with the color of the eye. Audio by DaVinci Resolve is based on Fair light, a collection of state-of-the-art editing tools that allow you to connect up to 1000 channels.
Remarkably, this computer software offers a free version with nearly all its functions. There are no watermarks unless you employ a premium effect such as noise reduction. Although this is a more technical package than the others on this list, this may be your best choice if you want to get good image conversion software on Windows or Mac. Read Da Vinci solutions for more information.
- Color correction
- Audio mixing in post-production
- Collaborative work
- More appropriate to the finalization of the film
It is a free video editor with an intuitive interface that is appropriate for beginners and has a plethora of sophisticated functions. Most notably, it provides a high level of control over audio, making it an excellent choice for film scenes that rely heavily on audio effects. Moreover, it supports a lot of audio tracks and comes equipped with an extensive sound effects library.
While the software is not as sophisticated as Lightworks, the audio editing and mixing capabilities genuinely stand out for a video editing software free of cost. Additionally, VideoPad supports 3D video editing, a feature that is uncommon among free video editing software. Additionally, it features excellent social sharing capabilities, including a library of social media-friendly effects and transitions and the ability to share files directly to Facebook or YouTube without leaving the app.
- Audio mixing
- 3-dimensional video editing
- Excellent shareability
- Is deficient in advanced features.
- Creating a slideshow is not free.
Compatibility: Windows 10
If you have a Windows-based computer, you already have access to Microsoft's built-in video editor, Windows Video Editor. What was previously known as Windows Movie Maker was wholly rewritten for Windows 10. Although it is not a particularly strong free video editor, it may suffice if you're searching for a quick and convenient way to make modest modifications to your clips.
It lacks a plethora of functions; it's more of a photo editor with some video editing capabilities—but Video Editor is capable of performing simple operations such as cutting, cropping, speed adjustments, and adding text or music. Additionally, it has a section for 3D effects, which you can use to enhance your video with pre-designed animations. While these lack customization capabilities, Windows Video Editor is still an excellent application for basic video editing, especially for novices who enjoy working with Windows. It is unquestionably incredibly simple to use.
- Easy to use and simple to understand.
- Pre-built library of bespoke animations
- Extremely simple, barebones video editor
If you want to add text, lines, graphics, and other special effects to your presentation (and running Windows), VSDC free video editor can be a free video editing software for the project. These include special effects such as Instagram, such as color correction and blur, and masks that only affect part of the video (for example, to cover your face). There are also video stabilizers and graphics tools to help you eliminate GoPro or drone footage by adding graphics to your presentation.
The permitted variety exports to a variety of presentations, with AVI and MPG, and supports most video formats, so importing clips should be straightforward. Additionally, you may customize the output for specific devices, and there is an integrated DVD burner. The pro version, which is available for purchase, includes motion tracking, masking, and machine acceleration. To understand more, see our VSDC review.
- Numerous special effects
- Various production formats
- It works remarkably well with GoPro shots.
- Further appropriate for demonstrations
Compatibility: Windows and Mac OS X are both supported.
Hitfilm Express is a free video editing software equivalent to the Swiss Army knife. It can produce 3D-effects-laden feature films and music videos, but it is also excellent for creating YouTube videos (it offers direct uploading). You can expect a few things from expensive software, including B. 4K video support, 360-degree rotation, and amazing effects.
The main drawback is that it is vast. So, for example, it doesn't work on low-power laptops. The base version contains everything you need for a professional product. However, check out the hit Movie Express reviews if you need something a little more special, such as details.
- Excellent community and educational opportunities
- 3D compositing
- Difficult download procedure
- It requires a powerful computer.
Platform: Windows, Linux, and macOS
If you've gotten too large for a simpler movie editing software program but don't require the intricacy of a professional tool such as Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X, you may want to check out Shotcut. This free and open-source video editing software supports various file types, includes an extensive library of filters and special effects, and supports resolutions up to 4K. Additionally, it promotes AV1 decoding and encoding.
The UI is intuitive and customizable (features dockable and undockable panels), and we enjoy the surprisingly complex timeline. On the negative side, the transition process is a little unique. It's quite impressive for a free video editing program.
- Numerous filters and effects are available.
- Customizable, user-friendly interface plus
- Outstanding file format support.
- Unsuitable for more complex projects