Top 8 Best Free DVD Decrypter for Windows & MacOS
Summary: If you want seamless DVD backup and playback, it's essential to have the best free DVD decrypter tools at your disposal. This article presents a comprehensive list of the top free DVD decryption software for both Windows and macOS. Continue reading to find the one that meets your requirements.
Remove all copy protections from DVD and Blu-ray released one year ago.
Free trial of DVDFab Copy and Ripper that can decrypt the newest discs.
Lossless Backup DVDs and Blu-rays in Full Disc and Main Movie Mode.
Convert DVDs and Blu-rays to MKV/MP4 videos.
Table of Contents
- Top 8 Best Free DVD Decrypters to Decrypt DVDs
DVD encryption is one of the best ways to protect copyrighted DVD data from illegal copy and playback. Once a DVD is copy-protected, a home DVD player will fail to play it unless the player can decrypt the encrypted files. If you want to watch a protected DVD, a movie decrypter is of great help.
No matter whether you want to enjoy DVD videos on a computer or mobile devices such as an iPhone, an Android, etc., there are decrypters enabling you to do that as an expert to remove DVD encryptions. Here, I have collected the 8 best free DVD decrypters available on Windows and Mac OS for your reference.
What is your DVD decrypter download, Windows, Mac, or Linux? Free DVD decrypter available on different machines are listed below. Learn about their features and decide which freeware to use.
DVDFab HD Decrypter is a lifetime-free and simplified version of DVDFab DVD/Blu-ray Copy and Ripper combined (which are all installed in the all-in-one DVDFab software package). This free DVD decrypter can not only remove DVD or Blu-ray copy protections from commercial discs, ISO files or folders, but can also copy or convert them for playback or preservation.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 & macOS 10.10 - 13
💡Able to decrypt: nearly all DVD protections (CSS, RC, RCE, APS, UOPs, and Sony ARccOS) and Blu-ray protections (AACS, RC, UOPS, and BD-Live) from DVDs and Blu-rays released one year ago.
- Decrypt both DVD and Blu-ray discs for free.
- Copy DVD/Blu-ray to blank discs, as ISO files or folders with high quality.
- Rip and convert DVD/Blu-ray to MKV or MP4 for playback on portable devices.
- Customize video with a built-in video editor when ripping DVD/Blu-ray.
- Efficient DVD decryption and backup via multitasking mode.
- Auto synchronize all the original metadata info. in the output video.
- New DVD decryption only available in its pro version - DVDFab DVD Copy and DVD Ripper (which keep updating to meet the latest encryption tech and copy protections).
- Limited copy and conversion profile modes.
How to Use this Free DVD Decrypter to Decrypt DVDs:
Step 1: Download and install DVDFab HD Decrypter.
Step 2: Launch the DVD decrypter software and upload the source
Load DVD source, and select Copy or Ripper module from the option bar when it runs. Here we take the Copy module as an example. After this, add a DVD of which data you want to back up into the optical drive, or navigate it using add buttons on the main UI. Then, move to the left pane and choose the copy mode between Full Disc and Main Movie.
Step 3: Customize the output video.
After loading the source file, click the "Info" button, and you will see that all the copy protections from the source DVD have been automatically detected and decrypted.
In the Copy module, this DVD decrypter allows you to select the copy option, explain the volume label, and set the output DVD size to DVD-9. You are also allowed to select an audio language, subtitles, and chapters in the Main Movie Copy mode but not in the Full Disc mode. Besides, in the Ripper module, you can adjust various video and audio settings and edit your videos by cropping, trimming, rotating, merging videos, applying watermarks, and adding subtitles.
Step 4: Start to decrypt DVDs.
To trigger HD decryption, click the Start button. It will start copying its quick working property and see detailed work during the backup process. If you are not processing, then terminate the task at any time. Set your PC to automatically off, hibernate or do nothing after the task is finalized.
WinX DVD Ripper is another useful DVD decrypter software for Mac and Windows. The free edition of the software supports decrypting CSS and region-locked DVD discs, ISO files or Folders, and also directly converting your disc to limited video formats like MP4 for playback on mobile devices or media players.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows 11/10 or lower & Mac Ventura or lower
💡Able to decrypt: CSS and region-locked DVD discs, ISO files or Folders.
- Smooth DVD decryption and conversion.
- Rip DVDs to four digital formats, including AVI, WMV, MP4, an MOV.
- Offer customized options for DVD ripping, such as select subtitle, add external subtitle, adjust video and audio parameters.
- It doesn't support handling old damaged DVDs, latest DVDs, Japanese DVDs, or DVDs containing 99 titles. You need to upgrade to the paid version to access these additional decryption features.
- Video editing feature and more output formats are unavailable in the free version.
- Unable to handle and decrypt Blu-ray disc.
DVDSmith Movie Backup is a free DVD decrypter software that allows you to decrypt DVD copying protection back up DVD movies. This intuitive tool can decrypt DVD with copy protections and create a DVD folder out of these discs. The DVD folder so created can be played by a number of media players like VLC and MPC.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 & Windows 10
💡Able to decrypt: DVD copy protections like CSS, RCE, APS, UOPs, etc.
- Remove a number of DVD copy protections for free.
- Copy protected DVDs as a folder on your hard drive.
- Offer two-disc copy modes: Full Disc and Main Movie.
- Unable to upgrade frequently for more newly released DVDs.
- Sometimes it may fail to copy an encrypted movie.
- Unable to decrypt and copy Blu-ray discs.
- Lack of more advanced features, like copying DVDs to DVD discs or ISO image files, video settings and editing features.
DVD Shrink is a free DVD decryption software that was last updated in 2005. This DVD decrypter is good at making shrunk copies of dual-layer DVD which has a size of around 8.5GB. It shrinks a DVD9 to fit in a DVD5 so it is obvious that there will be some sort of video quality loss but it is good for remove certain DVD encryptions for free.
It uses the DeCSS[WIKI] decryption algorithm but this free decrypter is unable to remove newer encryptions like AES. It can read DVD folders and ISOs along with physical discs. If you are going to install this software then only install either of the final versions which are 18.104.22.168 (English) and 22.214.171.124 (German). Any other versions are total scams and may contain malware so be careful while downloading.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows.
💡Able to decrypt: CSS, RC, RCE, etc.
- Decrypt DVDs using DeCSS decryption algorithm.
- Also read DVD files contained in a VIDEO_TS folder or a disk image (ISO, IMG, NRG or MDS/Ixx).
- Copy entire DVDs or selected parts to an an ISO image copy or a DVD Video_TS folder.
- No further update for newest DVD encryptions.
- Unable to work on Mac system.
- Require additional DVD burning software.
DVD Decrypter is another free DVD decryption software which was last updated in 2005. It can create disk image copies of the DVD-Video structure of many protected DVDs. The software also can make a region free copy from a region specific DVD.
This free DVD decrypter also removes Macrovision Content Protection. Macrovision asked the DVD decrypter developers to cease its development. And a case filed against it in a US court led to a decision which states that copying DVDs for personal use is legal but the distribution of such software is illegal. This led to the permanent development closure for this software. But you can still use this decrypter for personal use legally. Please only download the latest stable release which has version number 126.96.36.199. Other versions may be scams or malware.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows.
💡Able to decrypt: Macrovision content protection, CSS, region codes, and user operation prohibition.
- Copy and decrypt some protected DVDs.
- Copy DVDs to multiple disk image files on hard drive, including File, IFO, and ISO.
- It hasn't been updated for a long time.
- Doesn't support newest DVDs with advanced encryptions like XProtect.
- No guarantee for safe use.
Freemake DVD Ripper is another reliable free DVD decrypter that can rip region-locked DVDs or DVD folders to more than 20+ video formats with or without subtitles. It also can copy DVD Windows 10 as a DVD folder or an ISO file. You can even directly upload the ripped videos to YouTube, websites and could drives. Besides, this free decorder claims that it can transform M2TS files from Blu-ray discs.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows 11, 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista.
💡Able to decrypt: region codes.
- Decode and rip region-coded DVDs.
- Rip DVDs and folders to 20+ formats compatible with multiple devices.
- Offer a built-in video editor for customized DVD ripping.
- Very limited decryption function: only support RC DVDs.
- Not compatible with Mac system.
- The decrypted videos will be watermarked.
- Some functions are only available in paid version.
HnadBrake cannot decrypt DVDs by itself. It is designed to convert multiple common multimedia files and any unprotected DVD or Blu-ray sources. However, HandBrake can work with additional DVD decrypter software - libadvcss[WIKI] (a free software library developed by VideoLAN) to access and decrypt commercial DVDs protected with CSS. When combined, HandBrake can use libdvdcss to decrypt protected DVDs so they can be transcoded into other digital formats.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows, macOS and Linux.
💡Able to decrypt: CSS.
- Rip CSS-protected DVDs with the help of libdvdcss for free.
- Convert DVD and Blu-ray to MP4, MKV, and WebM formats.
- Advanced control over title, chapter, bit rate, subtitles, and video filters.
- Require downloading VLC or libdvdcss.
- Unable to handle other common or latest encrypted DVDs.
- Limited output video formats.
Any DVD Shrink is a free-trial-based DVD decrypter that can copy encrypted DVDs to DVD R/RW discs or make a backup of DVDs on your hard drive. Also, it claims to be able to shrink any DVD video (up to 9.4GB) onto your DVDR disc (4.7GB or 8.5GB) with no loss of content or quality. In particular, this DVD decrypter also clones the DVDs with all extra items, including menus, trailers, language tracks, and subtitles.
💡DVD decrypter download: Windows and macOS.
💡Able to decrypt: DVD copy encryption like CSS, ArccOS, Uops, RC and RCE.
- Decode many DVD copy encryption.
- Make exact copies of DVDs to compress the size of DVD file.
- Burn ISO images and DVD folders directly onto various disc types.
- Erase content from rewritable DVDs.
- It only provides a free trial, not a free DVD decrypter.
- Unable to decode latest encrypted DVD.
- Unable to process Blu-ray disc.
In this section, we'll provide a detailed comparison of these tools from various perspectives, so as to help you identify which free DVD decrypter aligns best with your specific needs. Whether it's user-friendliness, decryption capabilities or compatibility with different systems, we've got it all covered.
|Free DVD Decrypter
|Able to Decrypt
|DVDFab HD Decrypter
|most CSS, RC, RCE, APS, UOPs, and Sony ARccOS ，AACS, RC, UOPS, and BD-Live
|DVD/Blu-ray disc, ISO, Folder
DVD/Blu-ray disc, ISO, Folder, MP4, MKV
|Winx DVD Ripper Free Edition
|DVD disc, ISO, Folder
|AVI, WMV, MP4, MOV
|YES, but in paid version
|DVDSmith Movie Backup
|CSS, RCE, APS, UOPs
|CSS, RC, RCE
|DVD, Disk Image, Folder
|Macrovision content protection, CSS, region codes
|ISO, IFO image file
|Freemake DVD Ripper
|20+ video formats, DVD, ISO, Folder
|Handbrake + libdvdcss
|MP4, MKV, and WebM
|Any DVD Shrinks
|CSS, ArccOS, Uops, RC and RCE
|DVD disc, ISO, Folder
The legality of using a free DVD decrypter can vary depending on your location and the specific laws in place regarding copyright. However, it is usually legal and safe to using these tools for personal purposes such as backing up legally purchased DVDs. Please note that even if it's technically possible to use these tools, you should always respect intellectual property rights and only use them for lawful purposes.
DVD Decrypter was released in 2001, known for its simple interface and ability to decrypt DVDs. However, the developer, LIGHTNING UK!, ceased development and shut down the main website: dvddecrypter.com in 2005 due to copyright infringement concerns. Despite this, the software is still available on various file-sharing sites and is still used today, although its efficiency has decreased over time due to advancements in copy-protection technology.
All the 8 free DVD decrypters are unable to decrypt a newly released DVD. In order to do that, you may ask help from the professional DVD decrypter - DVDFab DVD Copy software and DVDFab DVD Ripper software. It is now the only tool that updates regularly to deal with different kinds of new DVD and Blu-ray protections.
DVD decrypting software is typically designed to circumvent the protections used on DVDs. Therefore, most DVD decryption software would not be able to decrypt and rip Blu-ray discs. Among the 8 free DVD decrypters we mentioned before, only DVDFab HD Decrypter can decrypt, copy, and rip both DVD and Blu-ray discs.
When you want a free DVD decrypter windows or Mac then options are pretty limited, because there are mostly paid software for this category. But in this article, we have listed the top 8 best free DVD decrypter which not only decrypts DVD but also lets you copy or rip them. These software programs provide a nice way to back up your encrypted DVDs to your computer hard drive, external hard drive, or even USB storage.
Among them, the free DVDFab HD Decrypter not only answers the question of how to decrypt a DVD and a Blu-ray, but also gives you the power to copy DVD to ISO file, folders or hard drive. So feature-wise, it is the best free DVD decryption software you can find on the internet.