Can PS4 Play DVD? Know How to Play DVDs on PS4
Summary: Can PS4 play DVD? Technically speaking, yes. All versions of PS4 have the ability to play Blu-rays and DVDs. Therefore, the question that arises is how can you play DVD on PS4 and what types of Blu-ray disc formats and DVD does the device support? The article will help answer all your doubts and will be able to provide better ways to play DVDs on PS4. Read below to know more.
- • Free and Simplified Version of DVD/Blu-ray Copy/Ripper and Video Converter
- • Lossless Backup DVDs/Blu-rays in Full Disc & Main Movie Mode
- • Convert DVDs/Blu-rays/Videos to MKV & MP4 Videos
- • Personalized Video with Built-in Video Editor
Table of Contents
As mentioned earlier, all versions of PS4 are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray disc formats. All these devices supports different formats such as DVD-R/RW*1 (video mode, VR mode*2), DVD-ROM, DVD+R/RW*1, 2 CPRM, 1 AVCHD, BD-R/RE (BDAV, BDMV), and BD-ROM (Hybrid discs are supported). On the other hand, PS4 does not show support for BD-R/RE XL, BD-RE ver.1.0, burned discs or audio CDs, and DVDs that have not been finalized.
In addition to this, users also find it hard to play Blu-rays and DVDs with dust and scratches. Also, some DVD and Blu-ray discs will not play on PS4 due to the characteristics of the recording device, the quality of the recording, and differences in the encoding and manufacturing process of the software.
Can PS4 play DVDs movies? Yes, PS4 can play DVDs and Blu-ray discs without the need for a different app to download and install. Yet, you will require to update the device’s system software and turn on the disc playback option by linking your device to the web when you play DVD on the device for the very first time. Once you turn on this option, you will get the answer to your “can you play a DVD on a PS4?” question.
To update the device software, all you need to do is just connect your device to the internet and go to the function screen. Now, click the Settings option and go to the System Software update option. Now, install the latest system software version and you are all set.
Now, follow the below steps to know how to play DVD and Blu-ray discs using the playback feature on PS4.
1. Insert the Blu-ray or DVD disc you wish to play on PS4 and connect the device to the Internet.
2. The TV show or movie on the DVD will be played automatically.
3. In addition to this, you can also go to the Video tab in the XMB menu and click the X option on the movie title to play the DVD disc.
4. Once you insert the DVD into PS4, you can control the playback easily with the help of an on-screen UI and PS4 controller.
5. To know if the can PS4 play Blu-ray and DVD and does ps4 play DVDs, you must connect the device with a stable and good network connection. In addition to this, users will also require to update the PS4 to it latest system version.
6. In most cases, the device will prompt you automatically that there is a system update when you connect to a good internet connection.
Most of the users ask: can I play DVD on PS4 using a different method? Well, yes! Most of the time, PS4 will not be able to play your DVD due to some or other reasons. During such times, you need to rip the DVD to PS4-supported format. This will make it easy for you to play the DVD on PS4. One such tool is DVDFab DVD Ripper. The tool helps in converting DVDs and Blu-ray disc formats to PS4 video with original sound and image quality. Follow the below steps to know how to use this tool.
1. Download and install DVDFab 12 on your PC. Open the Ripper section.
2. Add the DVD disc you need to rip. By doing so, the tool will automatically load the DVD source.
3. Click Choose Other Profile option and select Device. Now, select Sony from the list to choose the PS4 as the profile.
4. If you wish to convert the DVD to MP4 or other specific formats you want, you must click the Format option.
5. Once done, you can now personalize the video as per your needs. The movie title of the source will be selected by default. Yet, users can still select other titles here.
6. Users can also tweak the title name by selecting the chapters, subtitles, and audio tracks as per their needs.
7. While ripping the DVD to be compatible for PS4, users can also click the Wrench logo to personalize their settings such as frame rate, codec, and resolution, among others.
8. In addition to this, users can also use the in-built editor to trim and crop the video, customize the aspect ratio, adjust picture values, and add watermark and subtitles, among other things.
9. Now, on the main interface at the bottom section, tap the Folder logo to choose a path to save the end result. Next, click the Start option to begin the conversion process.
Sometimes playing DVDs on PS4 can cause havoc and errors. Below are some common problems that PS4 users can face while playing DVDs. We have also provided some solutions to these issues.
Unexpected DVD ejection with no acceptance of the discs afterward: Users have faced this issue many times. During this issue, the DVD is ejected unexpectedly. In addition to this, users are not able to insert the DVD afterward since the device does not accept it.
Solution: Begin by holding down the power button until the system makes a beep sound 2 times. Next, wait for almost 30 seconds until all system lights are turned off. Disconnect the power cord for almost 5 minutes. If the problem is not solved, go to the online Service Request website by Sony. In addition to this, some users have also suggested using a rubber stopper below the eject button.
PS4 displays "No Disc Inserted" or "Unrecognized Disc" when playing DVD: A number of users have also complained that when playing a game on pS4 using a DVD, PS4 fails to recognize the DVD and shows error messages like “No Disc Inserted” or “Unrecognized Disc.”
Solution: All you have to do is delete the game app data and install it again. If that does not work, try PS4 safe mode options instead. Apart from this, you can also clean the DVD with a soft cloth. Disc readers are very sensitive to fingerprints and scratches. Hence, cleaning it might be helpful. Moreover, if your disc is BF4, you must try a different one. Some users have claimed that they just have issues with BF4. Lastly, you can also disassemble your disc drive.
PS4 displays a black screen after inserting the disc into DVD drive: Some users have claimed that they see a black screen when they insert a DVD. The device fails to play the content automatically.
Solution: When the black screen appears on PS4, you can turn off the input on your TV from the current HDMI and then turn on it back again. This solution has claimed to work for most of the users.
Problem while ejecting PS4 discs: Users have claimed that they sometimes face issues while ejecting PS4 discs. The discs get stuck in the drive and users find it difficult to remove the back.
Solution: A classic solution to this issue is to try ejecting the stuck disc manually.
DVD Skipping: Users also claimed that the PS4 sometimes skips the DVD that they are trying to play.
Solution: As per the reports, PS4 along with PS5 do not work correctly with older discs. This is because these discs are thicker in size. Users need to change to the newer disc to get rid of this issue. In addition to this, you can also clean your DVD drive and DVD disc to see if the problem is solved. Moreover, you can always initialize the system or rebuild the database.
This depends entirely on where the PS4 was purchased or originated. If the device was purchased from Canada, the United States, Bermuda, or Puerto Rico, it can play region 1 DVD without any error. This is because the device itself is region-locked with Blu-ray and DVD discs. If you wish to play DVDs from other areas, you will require to tweak the area on your PS4. Remember that PS4 permits changing region only 4 times. After that, the DVD region for your device will be forever locked. At such times, you can rip DVD using DVDFab DVD Ripper.
No. All editions of the PS4 do not show support for 4K UHD Blu-rays. They only support standard HD and 3D Blu-rays, along with ordinary DVDs. Only the Standard Edition of PS5 can play 4K UHD Blu-rays.
Using a normal DVD on PS4 will not damage your device. However, the following discs are not suggested to use on your PS4, since they may harm your gaming console.
- 8 cm discs
- Discs that are deformed or cracked
- Discs that have been repaired
- Non-circular discs, such as discs in the shape of a star, card, or heart
All in all, you just had a look at how can you play a DVD on PS4. The best method is to use DVDFab DVD Ripper since most of the time your PS4 will not be able to play your DVD. DVD Ripper will rip the DVD to PS4-supported format and make it easy for you to play the DVD on PS4. The tool makes it easy for converting DVDs and Blu-ray disc formats to PS4 video with original sound and image quality.