Best 8 Paid & Free DVD Rippers for Windows 10/11 [2024 Update]
Summary: This article lists the best DVD rippers for Windows 10/11/8/7 to help you make an informed decision on which software is right for you. Our step-by-step guide takes you through the process from start to finish, so you can enjoy your favorite movies and TV shows on your computer.
Convert encrypted DVDs, ISO files or Folders to MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV, etc.
Enjoy DVDs on mobile devices, media players, or home theaters.
Customize the audio & video parameters to meet specific ripping needs.
Edit DVD video with the built-in professional video editor.
Table of Contents
- Part 1. Top 8 Free DVD Ripper for Windows 10
- Part 2. How to Rip a DVD on Windows 10 with DVDFab DVD Ripper?
- Part 3. FAQs
Faced with piles of stacked DVD discs in your room, sometimes you probably anticipate ripping DVDs into video contents for better playback on portable or mobile devices, even transferring digital files to a hard drive or cloud storage service for lasting preservation.
For Windows users who want to rip DVDs fast and well, it’s imperative to seek out professional DVD ripping software. Hence, this post gives you a shortcut to picking the best free DVD ripper for Windows 10/11 from the given list. Meanwhile, you will master how to rip a DVD on Windows 10 for free and easily.
When considering applications for DVD ripping on Windows 10 or Windows 11, you may search online to find the most suitable option. Below are 8 exceptional free DVD rippers that allow you to convert your DVD to MKV, MP4 and other digital formats.
DVDFab DVD Ripper is a premium and user-friendly DVD ripper for Windows 10 and Mac that brings the power of professional DVD ripping right to your fingertips. This program stands out with its ability to convert DVDs into any mainstream audio and video formats for playback on portable and mobile devices. This Windows DVD Ripper also shines with its customizable output settings. Powered by advanced technology, DVDFab can rip DVDs at an astonishingly fast pace without compromising on quality.
🤗User Rattings: 4.1/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 & macOS 10.10 - 13
- The ONLY tool that can remove protection from newly purchased encrypted DVDs
- Rip DVD to 1000+ video/audio formats and 260+ profiles playable on all portable devices
- Offer a built-in video editor - crop, trim, merge video, add watermarks & subtitles
- GPU acceleration to support batch and lightning-fast conversion
- Share converted video/audio files onto YouTube
- Convert DVD Subtitles to SRT File via OCR Technology
- Auto-synchronize all the meta info of the source DVD and display them on media server
- Limited functions in its free version.
- Its Blu-ray ripping features are a paid option.
WinX DVD Ripper for Windows is also a user-friendly software that efficiently rips DVD content to your computer's hard drive and converts it into popular video formats. It offers robust functions while maintaining excellent video/audio quality and fast ripping speed. Additionally, it enables audio separation from the DVD video for MP3 music saving. You can learn more from this Winx DVD Ripper Review.
🤗User Rattings: 3.6/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Win 11/10 or lower & Mac Ventura or lower
- Able to decrypt and read copy-protected DVD discs.
- Rip DVDs to 210+ video/audio formats and 350+ output profiles.
- Fast ripping speed due to Level 3 hardware acceleration technology.
- High-quality output video with excellent picture and sound quality.
- Customization options for the ripped video, like codec, resolution, frame rate, and simple editing.
- Some features are only available in the paid version.
- The free trial version has limited functionality and can only rip up to 5 minutes of video.
- The software may have occasional compatibility issues with some newest DVD discs or copy protections.
- No Blu-ray ripping features.
This free DVD Ripping software for Windows 10 also works on Mac and Linux, a wonderful program that allows you to save DVDs by ripping them into videos for the particular device listed in its presets. With HandBrake, the parameters can be manually tweaked a lot using its settings, the picture quality can be changed, the video files can be compressed, and much more using a fast tool like this. However, one of the downsides of this DVD Ripper is that it cannot rip copy-protected DVD discs.
🤗User Rattings: 4.0/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Windows 10 and later & macOS 10.13 and later & Linux
- Free and open-source software.
- Work with libdvdcss to decrypt and rip CSS protected DVDs.
- Convert DVD and Blu-ray to 3 video formats: MP4, MKV, and WebM.
- Advanced video editing features, such as cropping, scaling, deinterlacing, and adding subtitles
- Batch conversion
- Some advanced features may not be available in the graphical user interface (GUI) and may require the use of the command-line interface (CLI).
- Encoding speed can be slow compared to other video transcoding software, especially when using complex settings or filters.
- May not be able to handle copy-protected DVDs without the use of third-party decryption tools.
- Limited output video formats and profiles.
VideoSolo BD-DVD Ripper for Windows 10 can rip Blu-ray and DVDs into digital format at lightning speed. Enjoy Blu-ray/DVD videos on any device with its support for over 200 output video/audio formats, including MP4, MKV, MOV, FLV, M4V. VideoSolo may also preserve the output video's original quality.
This Windows 10 DVD Ripper has a simple and intuitive User experience. Unlike other software, it prioritizes customer service, so you don't have to worry about it. It has a media toolbox with Media Metadata Editor, Video Compressor, 3D Maker, Video Enhancer, etc.
🤗User Rattings: 2.5/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP & Mac OS X 10.7 or above
- Over 200 video/audio formats are supported.
- Quick ripping of Blu-ray and DVDs with batch conversion.
- Excellent and prompt after-sales service.
- Backing up the entire thing or a portion of it.
- Maintain the video/audio quality of the original.
Cons: It is not a free program, it does provide a 30-day free trial.
DVD Shrink is free to download and use like other tools in this post. This free DVD ripper Windows 10 now supports most DVD formats, allowing us to create backup copies in seconds. Sadly, this application does not assist in converting a selected fragment or may mislead us. It provides outstanding characteristics in creating backups, and enables you to effortlessly reduce the size of a dual layer DVD-9 to a DVD-5. However, this software lacks consistent updates and improvements.
🤗User Rattings: 3.2/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Windows only
- This Windows DVD Ripper is completely free and simple to use.
- Compress DVD files, reducing their size while maintaining quality.
- Choose specific parts of a DVD you want to back up.
- Outdated in terms of features and compatibility with newer DVD formats.
- Only supports creating backup copies in the ISO and DVD Video_TS.
- DVD Shrink may encounter compatibility issues with certain DVD drives, or operating systems.
VLC Media Player is a free, open-source DVD ripper for Windows 10 that can play, stream, and convert almost any audio and video format. Its capabilities extend to ripping DVDs, Blu-rays and CDs to your PC, allowing you to enjoy these films on various devices without the need for a disc. The DVD ripping functionality of VLC Media Player includes options to customize the conversion settings, such as selecting specific chapters, audio tracks, or subtitle tracks to be ripped. This flexibility allows users to have full control over the output video and audio quality, file size, and other preferences.
🤗User Rattings: 4.4/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Windows XP/Vista/10/7/8, Mac, Linux
- Digitize both DVDs and Blu-rays to MP4, M4A, WEBM, OGG, MP3, etc.
- Choose title, chapter, audio and subtitle.
- Serve as a media player and free DVD Ripper for Mac as well.
- Cannot rip commercial or copy-protected DVDs.
- The range of output file formats is limited.
- Lack video editing features.
Freemake DVD Ripper for Windows 10 is a powerful freeware tool for converting and ripping DVDs into various video formats including MP4, AVI, MKV among others. The software also provides a library of over 50 preset profiles and supports output to multiple devices such as Android, Apple, Sony, and Xbox. Despite its strengths, this free DVD ripper cannot handle certain DVD copying protection and does not support ISO files as inputs.
🤗User Rattings: 3.6/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Windows 11, 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista
- Able to decrypt region code protected DVDs.
- Digitalize DVD to 20+ video formats.
- Embedded video editing tools: trim, merge, subtitles.
- Rip DVD videos to YouTube.
- Cannot convert some encrypted DVDs.
- Lack of support for ISO files as input.
- The free version includes watermarks on converted videos.
- Certain advanced features require paid activation.
Leawo DVD ripping software Windows 10 is versatile and offers more than just the ability to transfer DVDs, ISO files and folders to digital formats. When installing this program on your computer, you can be assured that there are no viruses present. Additionally, Leawo provides several customization tools, such as cropping, adding subtitles, and applying watermarks to your videos, allowing for a more personalized viewing experience.
🤗User Rattings: 3.8/5 from softpedia.com
💡Working Systems: Windows 7/8/8.1/10/11 and macOS 10.13/10.14.../12/13
- Decrypt DVDs with region code copy protection.
- Convert DVD to MKV, MP4, MPEG, AVI, AAC, MP3 and other 180+ video/audio formats.
- Edit video by cropping, trimming, rotating or adding watermark.
- Select subtitle, audio and angle.
- Batch DVD ripping.
- Cannot process new DVD copy protections.
- 5-minute limit on ripping in free version.
- Only save 1 audio tracks and subtitle track.
Now you might understand which one to choose when you seek a free DVD ripper for Windows 10. Apparently, free versions of these programs offer the basic features needed to rip DVDs. Nevertheless, if you hope for quality converted content ripped from any commercial or homemade DVD, we recommend you resort to a full-featured program: DVDFab DVD Ripper. The below step-by-step guidelines can be your reference.
Download and install this DVD Ripper on a trial basis without registration, and choose the ‘Ripper’ module when the program runs. Next, insert the DVD disc into the optical drive on PC, or simply drag & drop the ISO file or DVD folder onto the main UI.
Click 'Choose Other Profile' elect your desired profile from the profile library on the left panel. You can choose to rip and convert your DVD to MP4, AVI, MKV or other popular digital formats. Or you can also choose your preferred output device.
Then tab the ‘Wrench’ icon (for Advanced Settings) to set relevant parameters for video, audio, and subtitles. Besides, with the built-in video editor, you can trim, crop, merge and rotate video, add watermark and subtitles, or adjust brightness, saturation, and contrast to improve video quality.
Set file directory to save the output video on HDD (folder) or transfer to mobile. Meanwhile, you can choose ‘GPU Hardware Acceleration’ to quicken the batch conversion. Once done, press the ‘Start’ button to wait for the resulting video.
No, Windows 10 does not come with a built-in DVD ripper. Microsoft once introduced Windows Media Player that can rip music, pictures and videos from a CD or DVD to your computer. However, Windows Media Player was only included in most versions of Windows up until Windows 8. After that release, it was available as an optional feature.
DVDFab DVD Ripper is widely recognized as one of the top DVD ripper software options for Windows 10. It offers a range of advanced features, such as the ability to rip DVDs to various formats, customize output settings, and perform batch conversions. Additionally, it has gained popularity for its intuitive interface and fast ripping speed.
To rip a protected DVD in Windows 10, you'll need to use a DVD ripper capable of decrypting protected DVDs. DVDFab is a recommended tool for this task as it can handle various types of copy protection, including CSS, APS, RC, Sony DADC, and newly released ones. It also supports the most comprehensive range of input and output formats. Other options include WinX and HandBrake, but these may not offer as wide-ranging support for different types of protections or file formats.
Among all listed free DVD Ripper for Windows 10/11, you must have got the right answer to rip DVD with fast speed and high quality. Obviously, DVDFab DVD Ripper, can rip DVD to all mainstream video and audio formats to be compatible with all devices such as smartphones, tablets, game consoles, 3D devices, and TV boxes. Next time when you are wondering how to get video and audio files from DVDs, this program will help you out.