Top 5 Best Tools for Converting BDMV to MKV/MP4
Summary: This article highlights the top 5 tools available for converting BDMV to MKV or MP4 formats. These software offer efficient and effective conversion processes, allowing users to easily transform BDMV files into more widely supported video formats for enhanced compatibility and playback convenience.
Rip any encrypted Blu-ray disc, ISO, or Folder to 1000+ video/audio formats.
Convert BDMV files to MP4/MKV losslessly for playback on multiple devices.
Able to read 2D/3D Blu-rays and output H.265 videos.
Customize Blu-ray video with the built-in video editor.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Tools for Converting BDMV to MKV/MP4
Despite the excellent quality they offer, BDMV files come with a range of complications, primarily concerning compatibility and convenience. However, there's a solution—perhaps a shift to a more universal and user-friendly format like MKV or MP4 could offer a more seamless and enjoyable viewing experience.
This article will explore the reasons why we may convert BDMV to MKV or MP4 and then introduce the five best BDMV ripper programs that offer efficient and reliable solutions for converting your BDMV files.
What is BDMV? BDMV stands for Blu-ray Disc Movie Video, which is essentially a digital format used for storing HD video content found in Blu-ray discs. It allows storing of high-definition videos up to 1920x1080 pixels with surround audio and has the ability to support menus like DVDs. However, this format is not as widely supported on media players as some others.
On the other hand, MKV, known as Matroska Video, is a free, open-source multimedia container format, which can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, and subtitle tracks in one file. It has become a popular choice due to its versatility and maximum quality preservation, which has earned it wide compatibility with various platforms and devices.
Converting BDMV to MP4/MKV generally gives you more flexibility and portability with your media:
DVDFab Blu-Ray Ripper is a professional and reliable Blu-ray video converter that supports converting BDMV files to MKV or MP4 formats efficiently. It can also convert any 2D/3D Blu-ray discs, ISO files, or folders to over 1000 video (2D/3D) and audio formats, even if your Blu-ray has any old or new copy protection. Moreover, you can customize the video and audio parameters like title, chapter, audio tracks, subtitles, codec, quality and size.
Key Features of DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper:
- Remove the latest protection(AACS/BD+/BD-J/RC) to make BDMV conversion possible.
- Convert BDMV folder (.m2ts file) to 1000+ video/audio formats, such as MKV and MP4.
- Rip BDMV files to lossless video (MP4/MKV/M2TS.Passthrough) and audio for home theater.
- Compress BDMV file size but retain quality for playback on all mobile and portable devices.
- Rip a standard Blu-ray movie in 15 minutes with GPU Acceleration.
- Support Multitasking Mode for batch Blu-ray ripping.
- Built-in video editor able to crop, trim, merge, add watermarks or effects to, speed up/down your BDMV videos.
Here are some steps to ensure a smooth conversion:
Step 1: Launch this BDMV to MKV/MP4 converter and load Blu-ray disc/ISO/folder
Run DVDFab 13 and opt for the 'Ripper' module when it runs. Insert BD into the external Blu-ray drive, navigate it through the Add button or drag & drop ISO file/folder onto the main UI.
Choose one profile and customize the output video
Click the 'Choose Other Profile' to select your desired profile as MKV or MP4. Select the titles, audio tracks, and subtitles you want to retain, or add external subtitles. Then turn to the 'Advanced Settings' and built-in 'Video Editor' to customize the output video.
Start to convert BDMV to MP4 or MKV
Click the 'Start' button. You can cancel the task anytime you like, set PC to auto shut down, exit program, hibernate or do nothing when ripping Blu-ray is done.
MakeMKV is a software application used for ripping DVDs and Blu-rays to the MKV format only. It can be also used to convert Blu-ray Disc Movie (BDMV) files into MKV with all audio tracks and subtitles retained. This BDMV converter can only process AACS or BD+ protected files, so it doesn't work on converting BDMV files with DRM or other kinds of protections.
Support OS: Windows, Mac and Linux
- Simplicity: MakeMKV offers a straightforward and user-friendly interface.
- Retains quality: It preserves the original video and audio quality during the conversion process.
- Wide compatibility: The converted MKV can be played on various media players and devices.
- Fast conversion: MakeMKV utilizes efficient algorithms to convert BDMV files quickly, saving you time.
- Preserves subtitles and audio tracks: It allows you to select and include all or specific subtitles, audio tracks, and chapters from the original BDMV file in the converted output.
- Limited output formats: It primarily converts BDMV files to MKV format.
- Large file sizes: the output MKV files are large, which may consume more storage space.
- No advanced editing options: MakeMKV does not provide advanced video editing features.
Handbrake is an open-source, free, and multithreaded video transcoder that can convert BDMV files to MP4, MKV and WebM formats that are more readily usable across a wide range of devices. It also supports convert both DVD or Blu-ray files without copy protection mechanism. Additionally, Handbrake also provides options to crop and adjust your video during the BDMV files conversion process.
Support OS: Windows, Mac and Linux
- Free: Handbrake is a free BDMV to MKV/MP4 converter.
- Customization Options: It provides extensive options, such as bitrate, audio tracks, subtitles, etc.
- Presets: It offers pre-defined presets optimized for different devices and platforms.
- Batch Conversion: You can queue multiple BDMV files for conversion and process them in batches.
- Not Easy to Use: It can be complex for beginners.
- Limited Output Formats: HandBrake can only convert BDMV files to MP4, MKV or WebM.
- Lack of Direct Disc Support: HandBrake is unable to decrypt Blu-ray, so it isn't designed to convert encrypted BDMV files or rip copy-protected content.
AnyMP4 Blu-ray Ripper is a powerful tool that can rip and convert all-region Blu-ray discs iso files or folders to more than 500 video and audio formats, including Blu ray to MP4, MKV, MP3. etc. This BDMV to MKV/MP4 converter also allows you to edit and customize the output video by adjusting video resolution, bitrate, and other settings.
Support OS: Windows
- Intuitive User Interface: Easy for users to navigate and use the software.
- Wide Compatibility: AnyMP4 can convert BDMV to MKV/MP4 and other 500+ video/audio formats for playback on multiple devices.
- Customization Options: It comes with a built-in video editor that allows users to crop, cut, add subtitles or watermarks to your BDMV files.
- High-speed Conversion: It GPU acceleration technology allows for fast Blu-ray ripping speed.
- Windows Only: It is primarily available for Windows, which limits its accessibility for Mac and Linux users.
- Potential DRM Limitations: If your BDMV file contains DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection, this ripper may not be able to bypass it.
Leawo Blu-ray Ripper is a comprehensive Blu-ray/DVD ripping software that allows you to rip and convert Blu-ray/DVD, including BDMV files, to video in various formats, such as AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, FLV, MOV, etc. Additionally, it can extract audio from Blu-ray movies and convert them into popular audio formats. This BDMV to MKV/MP4 converter also features video editing options, such as trimming, cropping, watermarking, and 3D settings.
Support OS: Windows and Mac
- Wide Format Support: It supports converting BDMV files to 180+ output formats, ensuring compatibility with a wide range of devices and media players.
- High-Quality Conversion: The software utilizes advanced algorithms to ensure high-quality conversion.
- Support converting Blu-rays of all regions.
- Offer advanced features like video editing and 3D video output.
- It can't read and rip some copy-protected BDMV files.
- It does not support batch BDMV to MKV/MP4 conversion.
- It can't convert BDMV subtitle to SRT files.
- Internet Connection Required: Some features of the software require an internet connection, which may not be convenient or accessible for all users.
Several widely used disc authoring software with Blu-ray playback and burning capabilities can open BDMV files. Notable options include the free VLC media player, as well as professional programs like PlayerFab Ultra HD Player, JRiver Media Center, Nero, and Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player.
The resolution of a BDMV (Blu-ray Disc Movie) file can vary as it depends on the specifics of the disc. However, the common resolution for Blu-ray Discs is either Full HD, 1920 x 1080 pixels (standard high-definition) or 4K Ultra HD, 3840 x 2160 pixels (for newer and advanced discs).