Top 5 Software to Convert DVD to MKV Free and Lossless
Summary: Are you seeking a method to revamp your outdated DVD collection? Here we will introduce the top five easy-to-use DVD to MKV converters that can convert your DVDs to high-quality and lossless MKV files that can be stored on your computer or an external hard drive.
Table of Contents
- Part 1. Top 5 Programs to Convert DVD to MKV
- Part 3. How to Rip DVD to MKV with Lossless Quality
The days of storing all our favorite movies on DVDs are quickly coming to an end thanks to the rise of Blu-ray and easy access to online streaming platforms like Netflix. Then how do you deal with your old DVD discs? Converting DVDs to digital formats, such as MKV, is a good choice.
In order to create such a digital collection that you can store locally on your computer or on an external hard drive, you'll need the help of a DVD to MKV converter. Then what freeware should you use? Now, follow me to select the ideal solution to modernize your media library.
Converting DVD to MKV is a necessity for many people who want to keep their movie collection safe and sound in digital format. There are five top tools available that can help you with this task.
DVDFab DVD Ripper is the best DVD to MKV converter that can rip any type of DVD disc and can even be used to convert ISO files and folders to a format that runs on any compatible media player. Besides the MKV format, this program also supports other formats as well, such as AVI, MP4, WMV, and more. 3D and 4K formats are also included, as is a conversion from video to audio. Here are the main features of this tool.
Working System: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 & macOS 10.10 - 13
- The ONLY tool that supports any old or newly released encrypted DVDs.
- Support 1000+ video and audio output formats, like MKV.
- Support 260+ preset output devices such as iPhone, Samsung, Huawei.
- Provide powerful editing and customization tools.
- Support batch DVD to MKV conversion at GPU hardware accelerated speed.
- Synchronize meta info and generate .no file friendly to media server.
- Free experience of Blu-ray to MKV conversion.
MakeMKV is a versatile DVD to MKV converter that can convert DVD and Blu-ray discs to MKV format only. It offers fast conversion speeds and has the ability to preserve all audio tracks and subtitles. The software is known for its ease of use and high-quality output, and it supports many types of DVDs, including those with copy protection.
Working System: Windows XP or later & Mac OS X 10.6 and later & Linux x86 or amd64
- Read AACS/BD+ protected discs.
- Support both DVD and Blu-ray to MKV conversion.
- Lossless conversion quality.
- Save all the metadata information.
- Limited output options since it converts DVD to MKV format only.
- Lacks post-conversion editing options.
- No GPU acceleration.
- Not completely free after trial period.
HandBrake is a free, open-source software that can rip DVD to MP4 or MKV on multiple platforms. It offers advanced video and audio settings, presets for optimizing output quality, and batch conversion. However, it’s worth noting that some commercial DVDs may be copy-protected, which could prevent them from being converted using Handbrake without additional tools or plugins.
Working System: Windows 10 and later & macOS 10.13 and later & Linux
- Completely free and open-source.
- Rip both DVDs and Blu-rays.
- Advanced settings for fine-tuning output quality.
- Cross-platform compatibility.
- Can be complex for beginners.
- Unable to rip copy-protected DVDs.
- Limited output formats.
- Occasional stability issues during conversion.
Freemake DVD Ripper is a freeware allows users to convert DVD-5 or DVD-9 videos to MKV format. It also has some additional features, such as the ability to rip audio tracks from DVDs and customize output settings like resolution, frame rate, and bitrate. However, it’s worth noting that Freemake may not work with all DVD types or protected discs.
Working System: Windows 11, 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista
- It is a 100% free version.
- Rip both DVDs and Blu-rays to 20+ video formats.
- Read region-coded discs.
- Come with video editing options.
- Can' t rip discs with DVD copying protection.
- Unable to read ISO image file.
- The output MKV file is watermarked if you use the free version.
UniConverter, previously known as Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, is a premium software exclusively designed for Mac users to rip DVD to MKV format. The software supports various input formats, including DVDs and ISO files, and offers a range of output options, including MKV. UniConverter also provides customization options for output settings such as cropping, resolution, bitrate, and audio quality.
Working System: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista & macOS 10.7 and later
- Convert DVD/ISO to MP4, MKV, AVI, and more digital formats.
- Convert video/audio/image among 1000+ formats.
- AV1 GPU accelerated conversion speed.
- Advanced editing options
- Unable to rip Blu-ray to MKV.
- Unable to read some encrypted discs.
- Expensive compared to other software.
- Limited functions in trial version.
- The software integrates many extra features, which can be overwhelming for beginners.
- Now that we've introduced the top five DVD to MKV converters, including DVDFab DVD Ripper, MakeMKV, HandBrake, Freemake, and Uniconveter, it's time to delve deeper. In this next section, we will conduct a comprehensive comparison of these tools and collect their user rating from the professional softpedia.com, aiming to help you determine which tool is best suited for your specific needs.
|DVD to MKV Converter||Best For||User Rating|
|DVDFab DVD Ripper||Best overall. Rip any copy-protected DVDs, Blu-rays, ISO files, and Folders to MKV and other 1000+ video and audio formats. Stand out in widest input and output formats, advanced editing options, high quality and speed, and balanced size.||4.1/5|
|MakeMKV||Rip AACS/BD+ protected DVDs and Blu-rays to MKV only. It isn't packed with advanced option so it's good for simple everyday conversion task.||3.8/5|
|HandBrake||It is totally free to rip non-protected DVDs and Blu-rays to MKV and MP4.||4.0/5|
|Freemake||Its free version works well to rip region-coded DVDs and Blu-rays to MKV and other formats if you don't mind the watermark in the output file. It also comes with video editing options.||3.6/5|
|Uniconveter||It integrates video conversion, editing, compression, recording, and many other extra features.||4.0/5|
Now that we’ve covered the best five DVD to MKV converters on the market, let’s go through a step-by-step guide on how to rip DVDs to MKV with lossless quality using the most powerful tool - DVDFab DVD Ripper. This DVD Ripper stands out for its decryption technology and high-quality results.
DVDFab DVD Ripper is one of the modules of DVDFab 12. So when you launch DVDFab 12, select the "Ripper" module from the top menu. Once there, either insert the DVD disc or click the “Add” button to load your file. Meanwhile, if you want to rip an ISO file or folder, simply use the drag & drop method.
With the source loaded up, it’s time to select the format. To do this go to the "Choose Other Profile" in the upper left corner and select ”Format -> Video“. We want to convert DVD to MKV so we' re going to pick MKV as the output format. Also on this panel, you can click the option of "Device" near "Format" to choose the output preset.
The supported output video formats by this ripper include MP4, AVI, FLV, M2TS, MKV, MP4, TS, WMV, etc.
Then it's time to customize the ouput MKV video. Go to "Advanced Settings" and you can set the video and audio parameters as you want.
Also, you can edit the video with another tool known as "Video Edit" expressed by a "Pen" icon. With it you can change properties including the brightness, contrast, and saturation, or by cropping and trimming the video. The "Video Edit" menu also lets you add external subtitles to the video as well as text or image watermarks.
After customizing MKV video, where you want to save the converted file? From left to right at the bottom, you can choose ‘Mobile Device’, folder or YouTube as the output directory. Then, you will watch DVD in MKV format on your phone or desktop.
Converting DVD to MKV is a great way to keep your movie collection safe by transforming it to digital format. Unlike physical discs, digital movies don’t degrade over time, which means that you’ll never have to worry about your collection ever again. There are many tools that allow you to rip DVD to MKV, but if you want the best, we recommend trying out DVDFab DVD Ripper. Apart from ripping DVD to MKV, if you are also interested in how to convert MKV to DVD, please refer to another post for further information.