How to Save and Copy DVD to Computer in 2024 [Free and Paid]
Summary: How to copy a dvd to your computer? Whether you want to create a blank disc, folder, ISO image file or rip your DVD into digital formats such as MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV for viewing on various devices at your convenience - we’ve got you covered! Also, there is the best answer to decrypt DVD copy protections effortlessly.
Table of Contents
- How to Copy DVD to Computer with DVDFab DVD Copy?
- How to Transfer DVDs to Computer with DVDFab DVD Ripper?
- How to Free Save DVD to Computer with FreeMake?
If you are worried about saving the tons of DVDs you'd purchased in digital format before they go useless and unreadable, if you're interested in creating copies of your favorite movies from DVD you got into a format that can be carried inside your smartphone or laptop, you're at the right place.
DVDFab 13 includes many modules like Copy, Ripper, and Creator. These options enable you to copy and burn DVDs, Blu-rays, and UHDs. Also, you can use this free software to convert DVD, Blu-ray, and UHD to digital and to convert video and audio formats, such as MKV to MP4, MP3 to FLAC, etc. Now, let's take a look at how to copy DVD on Mac or Windows with DVDFab for easier playback on any devices.
In order to transfer your DVDs to a computer, you'll need the help of DVD copy software. Here, I want to take DVDFab DVD Copy as an example to show you how to make backup copies of DVDs.
- Work on Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7, and macOS 10.10 - 13
- Remove any old and new DVD copy protection from commercial DVDs
- Copy DVD to ISO image file, DVD 5/9, or Folder
- Provide 6 copy modes to save DVD to computer
- Download DVDs to computer without quality loss
- Copy DVD in batch at GPU-accelerated speed
- Allow you to choose the audio tracks and subtitles for free
- Full Disc: Copy all content of the disc/ISO/Folder source
- Main Movie: Only copy the main movie title of the disc/ISO/Folder source
- Customize: Copy any content you want from the disc/ISO/Folder source
- Split: Split one DVD 9 into two DVD 5
- Merge: Merge multiple DVDs or BDs into one DVD or BD (DVD and BD cannot be mixed)
- Clone/Burn: clone DVD or BD in 1:1 ratio with nothing lost
Step 1: Get DVDFab DVD copy software launched on Windows or Mac.
Step 2:Select 'Copy' module > Choose 'Main Movie' copy mode > Insert a DVD disc to your optical drive > Load the DVD video you have imported.
DVDFab DVD Copy is able to read a DVD disc, folder, and ISO file. So here, you cannot only import DVDs, but DVD folders and ISO files, and then make copies of DVD. This program also supports bulk DVD copies, so you can add multiple DVDs at once.
Step 3: Customize your DVD using Advanced Settings (optional)
If you are going to copy the DVD to disk, set the output disc as DVD 5 or DVD 9 here. Click ‘Advanced Settings’ and you will see four main options, including Output, Copying, Removing, and Navigation. Under ‘Output’, there are options like Volume Label, and Output (DVD 5/9).
Step 4: Select audio and subtitle to copy DVD to desktop
In most cases, there are more than one audio and subtitles in a DVD video. So, you can select which audio and subtitle you want to copy.
Step 5: Set the output directory and start to copy DVD to your computer
DVDFab supports three output destinations, including a blank disc, folder, and ISO file. So you can copy DVD to disk by inserting a blank DVD 5 or DVD 9 into your optical drive. If there is no laptop with a DVD drive, prepare an external one in advance. If you want to copy DVD Windows 10 in a folder or ISO file format, choose the latter two options at the bottom. Finally, click the button Start and wait for DVDFab DVD Copy to copy your DVD movie at top speed.
This is how to save a DVD to a computer in the format of a DVD folder or ISO image file. Follower the steps above, and you will be able to make copies of the DVD free and easily.
Different from copying DVDs, ripping DVDs to a computer enables you to convert your DVD movies into mainstream video and audio formats playable on mobile devices. Now, follow me to explore a free DVD ripping software to achieve this: DVDFab DVD Ripper.
- Available on Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7, and macOS 10.10 - 13
- Remove any DVD protection from old or latest commercial DVDs
- Convert DVD to 1000+ digital formats like MP4, MKV, MPEG, AVI, etc.
- Rip DVD to 260+ preset devices
- Rip titles, chapters, audio tracks and subtitles from DVD
- Boast a versatile built-in video editor
- Get 50x faster DVD ripping speed with GPU hardware acceleration
Step 1: Get DVDFab DVD Ripper launched on Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 or macOS 10.10 - 13.
This is another module in DVDFab 13. You can enjoy all the modules functions within one package.
Step 2: Select the 'Ripper' Module > Insert your DVD disc into your optical drive.
DVDFab DVD Ripper supports bulk DVD to digital conversion, so you input as many DVD videos (including DVD disc, ISO file, and Folder) as possible.
Step 3: Set the output format and customize the video
After you import your DVD video, you will see all the basic information about your file. Click the option of 'Choose Other Profile' > Format > Video. Then, you can convert DVD to MP4, MKV, AVI, FLV, M2TS, TS, WebM, and WMV formats. If you click 'Audio', you can rip audio from DVD to AAC, AC3, AIFF, APE, AU, DTS, EACS, FLAC, M4A, MKA, MP3, OGG, COPY, TrueHD, WAV, WMA. You can also rip a DVD to HiFi Audio, standing for higher audio quality
Then go back to the main interface and you can set the options for titles, chapters, audio, and subtitles to choose your favorite DVD clips to rip. you can also add external subtitles as you like.
You can also edit your videos using the two options: 'Advanced Settings' and 'Video Edit' based on your needs. Advanced Settings enables you to set the parameters of video, audio, and subtitles. At the same time, Video Edit allows you to crop, trim, rotate, speed up or down, zoom in or out a video, and adjust video properties like brightness, contrast, etc.
Step 4: Set the output video directory and start to rip movies to your computer.
Set the output destination as a mobile device or a Folder on your computer. Finally, click the Start button to rip your DVD movies at lightning speed.
Apart from how to copy and rip a DVD to a computer, there are also explanations for how to put videos on DVD. Would you like to burn your self-made videos to a DVD disc or save the downloaded YouTube videos to a disc? Then, have a free trial of DVDFab DVD Creator.
Looking to copy a DVD to your computer in Windows 10, 8, or 7? Freemak Video Converter is also an efficient solution. With Freemake, you can effortlessly copy your DVD to your computer, another DVD, or even a USB drive for free. In addition, Freemake allows you to create high-quality, region-free duplicates of your original discs, complete with chapters and trailers. With the ability to download DVD to computer, you can choose from over 15 backup formats for the output. Whether you want to watch your digital copy on your TV, phone, tablet, or any other device, Freemake has you covered.
💡Although FreeMake claims to be a free product, you still need to pay to unlock some premium features.
Step 1: Once you download and install Freemake, simply execute it by double-click. It's compatible with various operating systems, including Windows 10, Windows 8, 8.1, Windows 7, and Vista.
Step 2: Place the desired DVD disc into the CD/DVD drive of your computer to initiate the download process.
Step 3: Within the interface of the Freemake Video Converter, locate and click on the “+DVD” button, followed by selecting the VIDEO_TS folder from your DVD disc. The program will inquire about the specific files you wish to include.
Step 4: If your intention is to create a digital copy either on your computer or an external hard drive, proceed by picking an appropriate output format for your DVD video files.
When you copy DVDs to computer, there may be DVD copy protections embedded in your DVD disc, folder, or ISO file. Luckily, DVDFab DVD Copy and DVDFab DVD Ripper is not only able to download DVDs to a computer, but also able to decrypt DVDs automatically. So, you can easily find which DVD copy protection is in your DVD file by clicking the option of 'Info' on the main interface of DVDFab.
You can also ask DVDFab HD Decrypter for help, which is a totally free version of DVDFab DVD Copy and DVD Ripper. It can remove nearly all DVD protections from DVDs or Blu-rays released one year ago.
There could be several reasons why you are unable to copy files from a DVD to your computer:
- DVD write-protection: Some DVDs come with copy protection that prevent users from copying their content.
- DVD format compatibility: If your computer's DVD drive is not compatible with the format of the DVD, it may not be able to recognize or read the contents of the disc.
- Scratched or damaged DVD: If the DVD is scratched, dirty, or damaged, it may cause read errors and prevent the files from being copied successfully.
- Software or hardware issues: Problems with your computer's DVD drive, incompatible software, or driver-related issues can also hinder the copying process.
In any case, troubleshooting steps could involve attempting to copy the files using different software, cleaning the DVD, trying a different DVD drive or computer, or in some cases, using specialized software that can bypass copy protection mechanisms
To save a DVD to computer on Windows 10, you can use third-party DVD Ripper, or you can follow these steps using the built-in Windows DVD Player app:
- Open the Windows DVD Player app. Click on the Play button to start playing the DVD.
- While the DVD is playing, click on the Settings icon on the bottom right corner of the app.
- Under the DVD tab, you will find an option called DVD Folder.
- Now, open File Explorer and navigate to the DVD folder location you noted earlier.
- Copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD folder and paste it to the desired location on your computer to save the DVD.
This article has provided step-by-step instructions on how to save and copy DVDs to computers. You can easily transfer copy-protected DVD movies or download DVD movies to computer in MP4 or other digital formats for easy enjoyment on mobile devices. Try the software I have recommended and you will make it.