Easy Ways to Digitize your Old DVD Collection
Summary: Are you tired of having shelves full of DVDs taking up space in your home? Or maybe you’re worried about the wear and tear on your DVD collection over time. Whatever the reason, digitizing your DVD collection is an excellent solution to these problems. We have covered it in this blog post in convenient ways.
During the golden era of DVDs, numerous film enthusiasts poured significant resources into amassing physical disc collections. Now, with the advent of handheld devices, these cinephiles are exploring ways to transition their DVD libraries into the digital era.
Digitizing your DVD collection can not only free up physical space in your home, enabling effortless organization, but also allow you to access your favorite movies from any device with an internet connection. This article has compiled the top four methods for converting DVDs to digital formats. Let's see how they interact now.
Table of Contents
DVDFab DVD Ripper is the best-ever dedicated program in terms of features. You can use DVDFab to digitize any homemade DVD videos or commercial DVD movies with protection mechanisms, be they physical discs, ISO image files, or folders on your computer. The decryption of the disc will be handled automatically by DVDFab if it detects any anti-copy encryption on the disc.
- It is also the ONLY tool that support the newest released DVDs with protection.
- More than 1000+ audio and video formats are supported for DVD digitization.
- The digitized video is compatible with more than 260 preset devices.
- Adjust video quality, including resolution, codec, bit rate, and frame rate.
- Video editing options: cutting, combining, rotating, and altering brightness and contrast.
- SRT files are used to extract subtitles from a video.
- Digitizing multiple DVDs at once via multitasking mode.
- GPU hardware acceleration achieves a 50 times faster DVD ripping speed.
- Enlarger AI module can upslcae video quality from 480p to 1080p.
Tips: DVDFab offers a lifetime-free but simplified version - DVDFab HD Decrypter - that can rip most encrypted DVD or Blu-ray to MP4&MKV format only. This free pragram is also powerful enough to meet your basic needs for digitizing DVD collection.
How to digitize DVDs with DVDFab DVD Ripper?
You can quickly transfer all of your DVD material to your computer or mobile device by following these simple steps with this top professional DVD Ripper.
Step 1: Launch DVDFab DVD Ripper software and load the source DVD
Free install DVDFab DVD Ripper and select the Ripper module from the drop-down menu. Insert the DVD, ISO or Folder disc into the optical drive by clicking on the Plus sign.
Step 2: Select a profile and make changes to the produced video.
Once you've selected the file you wish to digitize, pick the video format by clicking on "Choose Other Profile" and clicking on the video. You are free to digitize your DVD to MP4, and many other popular formats. Choose Format > Subtitles if you want to extract subtitles as SRT files.
Options for customizing the output will be prominently shown. There are several options available when you click on the Wrench symbol for Advanced Settings. When you click the Pen icon (for the Video Editor), you may retouch your video using various editing options, making it more unique and personal.
Step 3: Start digitizing DVDs for free and quickly
After making all the necessary adjustments, click the Start button to begin ripping your DVD. Waiting for DVDFab DVD Ripper to finish its work is unnecessary. The conversion can be stopped and resumed at any time. You can set the computer to shut down or hibernate automatically once the procedure is complete if it takes a long time.
Here's also a video tutorial for how to digitize a DVD with high quality:
The following characteristics make WinX DVD Ripper a good DVD digitizing program for many users. Digitize movie collection to H.264, AVI, MOV, and other 350 + popular formats. 40-95 percent of the original DVD's storage space is saved in the digital copy. The DVD to ISO image and Video TS folder will be cloned exactly as they were on the original DVD. Support for most copy-protected DVDs, including those with region codes, CSS, RCE, and Disney X-project DRM. It is possible to pick and add subtitles, audio tracks, aspect ratio and resolutions.
How to digitize a DVD with WinX DVD Ripper?
To begin, get WinX DVD Ripper and install it for free. The program will demand a license code when you run it. It's possible to receive a free license code here.
Step 1: Start by inserting your DVD source.
- Insert the DVD into a DVD drive, whether it's built-in or an external one.
- Import the DVD by clicking the Disc button. It will recognize the correct primary movie title and remove any DVD copy safeguards. You may, of course, choose the title yourself.
Step 2: Your digital copy should be saved in a specific format.
It will take to you the output format window by the program. You only need to choose your preferred format.
Step 3: Start digitize DVD
To begin making digital copies of DVDs, press the RUN button. Digitizing will be accelerated and completed in minutes thanks to the hardware acceleration. Finally, you may keep the DVDs on your computer, transfer the digital copy to mobile devices, watch the digitized DVD video on TV, upload the DVD to the cloud, etc.
VLC's simple interface and robust DVD decoding capability make it an excellent pick. You may also convert DVDs to MP4, H.264, H.265, WMV, WebM, and various other formats with this media player. However, there are certain drawbacks. There is no way to decrypt a protected DVD using VLC, and there is no way to manage the converting process.
How to convert dvd collection to digital with VLC Media Player?
- After downloading it, click on the Convert/Save button under Media to get started. To use the disc, press the Disc button.
- Click the Convert/Save button when the DVD has been properly inserted into the Disc Device.
- Select MP4 from the Profile drop-down box on the following page. After that, you can start the DVD to MP4 conversion process by clicking the Start button.
Handbrake, a free DVD ripper for Windows, Mac, and Linux, is a popular choice. If you have libdvdcss installed, Handbrake can rip CSS and region-locked DVD to MKV and MP4. Experimentation and mastery are required to master some of the more complex choices for fine-tuning encoder parameters and adding effects.
How to digitize a DVD with Handbrake?
- Open the DVD by pressing the Open-Source button. DVDs that are not encrypted can be ripped using this method.
- Non-commercial DVDs will use the primary title. If your DVD is password-protected, you can use VLC to locate the title and manually pick it.
- Select the MP4 or MKV format from the Presets drop-down option in the video editor.
- Select a location to save the MP4 file by clicking the Browse button and selecting a folder. To begin the encoding process, hit the Start Encode button in the toolbar.
Digitizing your DVD collection is an excellent way to keep your favorite movies and TV shows accessible and organized. Once you’ve finished digitizing your DVDs, the next step is to find a way to store them that keeps them safe, secure, and easy to access.
One option is to store your digitized DVDs on an external hard drive. External hard drives come in various sizes, ranging from a few hundred gigabytes to several terabytes. Another is cloud storage. Cloud storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, and Amazon S3 allow you to store your digitized DVDs remotely.
Programs like Plex and All My Movies also come as excellent examples of this type of technology in action. There are, however, a large number of them, and most of them operate similarly. The application will automatically archive and catalog your files if you want to do so.
For any purpose in digitizing a fantastic DVD movie collection, you'll discover that you have a wide range of selections to pick from, like DVDFab DVD Ripping software, the most powerful DVD to digital converter. With a few clicks, you'll be able to organize, locate, and watch all of your favorite movies from any location, at any time, without the constraints of DVDs!