How to Decrypt Blu-ray?[Top Blu-ray Decrypter]
Summary: Top Blu-ray decrypters are listed here. Commercial Blu-rays are always protected with protections like Cinavia, AACS, BD+, BD-J and more. Here in this article, we will show you how to decrypt Blu-rays for legal use.
Commercial Blu-rays are always protected by sorts of copy protections to avoid Blu-rays being used illegally. But for personal enjoyment, how to decrypt Blu-rays easily and fast? Before finding a good method of Blu-ray decryption, how about knowing the variety of Blu-ray copy protections?
There are five kinds of Blu-ray copy protections in detail. Besides them, others may be also used but are less popular than them. No matter which kinds of copy protection, they can be applied to both Blu-rays and DVDs. Now, let's have a look.
Popularly known as DRM protection. This is a standard that the prerecorded Blu-ray comes with. The only files on which this protection is applied are the stream files and not the other files that are present in Blu-ray disks. Such protection is applied for pre-recorded disks and the same goes for other Blu-ray protections.
This encryption has been developed by a consortium of media industry leaders - Disney, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Warner Bros., IBM, Toshiba, and Sony. It stands for Advanced Access Content System (AACS) and the consortium is known as AACS Licensing Administrator. The encryption used as part of this is 128-bit AES encryption. The Blu-ray players or the device have the Device key while the disks have Media Key Block. Using these two a Media key is generated which decrypts the Title key which is finally used to decrypt the audio and video in the disc.
The list of keys with AACS encryption that are available with the players can be revoked in case there is a suspicion that the keys have been compromised. Whenever a newer version of Blu-ray is inserted into a player, the drive checks for the Host Revocation List in the “Media Key Block” and updates it in the permanent non-volatile memory of the device. This system ensures that even if there is a hack and a list of keys are leaked (which happens quite often) by people looking to decrypt Blu-ray discs, the AACS consortium still has the chance of revoking the old list and creating a new one.
BD+ Protection is optional protection that is applied in addition to AACS encryption. This protection garble or mangles the video content with instructions within the disc itself on how to repair the content. The instructions are known as BD+ instructions and run on a virtual machine.
The virtual machine runs the BD+ instructions and fetches a “Fix-up Table” to fix the mangled parts of the video. However, BD+ protection was hacked by reverse-engineering the VM in 2008 by hackers who were looking at how to decrypt Blu-ray with BD+ protection. Since then there is a continuous stream of changes in upcoming VMs along with BD+ discs which are yet again reverse engineered by hackers keeping the loop running.
Cinavia is a protection tool developed by a company called Verance and since 2012 it is compulsorily supported by all Blu-ray players. Cinavia protection is an audio watermark that is present in addition to AACS protection and helps prevent theatre recordings of movies (CAM recording) to be released online or as a personal copy.
While this audio is not audible to human ears, Blu-ray players can read this watermark and figure out if the media content you are trying to play on a home disk is for theatres. It can also check if the AACS encryption used on the disk is similar to the one that was used on the original recording. The reason why this is hard to crack protection is that the watermark differs from each disk to disk therefore making a general decrypting logic difficult. If the player detects a counterfeit, it will degrade the audio quality of the Blu-ray, therefore, making it a poor copy of the original 4k content.
BD-J: also known as Blu-ray Disc Java developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association, making Blu-ray disc titles more sophisticated. It is a specification used to support Java ME (especially the Personal Basis Profile of the Connected Device Configuration or CDC) Xlets for advaced content on Blu-ray disc and the Packaged Media Profile of Globally Executable MHP (GEM). Now, BD-J has been supported by Sony’s PlayStation.
If you are a fan of Blu-ray quality content and have a pile of such discs lying in your cupboard, it is a good idea to digitize the content not only to avoid losing your bought content due to disc damage but also so that you can play it on your smartphone, desktop and other devices which are not capable of playing Blu-ray discs.
Apart from that, we can also understand one's Blu-ray decryption from such perspectives. Here, as to the reasons for “decrypting Blu-rays”, I am going to give rational explanations from two aspects. One is why “decrypt” Blu-rays, and another is why decrypt “Blu-rays”.
As mentioned above, there are numerous kinds of copy protection like AACS, BD+, Cinavia and BD-J to protect users’ illegal use of Blu-ray discs. Copyright protection is the key defense against copyright infringement. With the help of it, things will be difficult when one is making a digital backup of Blu-rays into other media like a hard drive and a USB stick. However, if it is for personal preference instead of commercial use, we need to decrypt Blu-rays.Then, why decrypt “Blu-rays”, not DVDs? It is due to the prevalence of Blu-ray files, to be exact. Recently, Blu-rays have won popularity among the public.
Compared with DVDs, Blu-rays is a leader in both storage capacity and video resolution. Let’s talk about these respects in detail. In terms of storage capacity, Blu-ray discs are bigger than DVD discs. For example, a single-layered BD can store 25GB of data like a 2-hour HD movie or a 13-hour standard movie. While single-layered DVD, also known as DVD-5, only holds 4.7GB of data, such as a 2-hour movie.
Double-layered Blu-ray disc can hold 50 GB of data, while a double-layered DVD, also DVD-9, is able to store 8.7GB of data. In terms of video resolution, Blu-ray videos are more crystal with 1080p provided. While for DVD videos, there are only clear videos on a standard TV with 480p or520p offered. If you choose a widescreen HDTV, images on DVDs will inevitably become blurred.
There are two ways to decrypt a Blu-ray. One way is to copy the Blu-ray in its digitized form with its protections intact on your computer using DVDFab Blu-ray Copy and the other way is to use a ripping software like DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper to remove the protections and save the media file in whichever format you like.
There are many programs available to decrypt Blu-rays while you are copying or ripping your Blu-ray disc/folder/ISO files. And such Blu-ray decryption is totally automatic. Subsequently, I will list some top Blu-ray decrypters able to decrypt Blu-rays easily and fast, telling you how to use each of them.
- Compatibility: Windows and Mac
- Decrypt: AACS, BD+, BD-J, RC, Country Code, etc.
- Copy Modes: Full Disc Mode, Main Movie Mode, Customize Mode, Clone/Burn Mode, Merge Mode
- Import: Blu-ray video disc, Blu-ray folder, Blu-ray ISO image file
- Output: the same as the import
- Quality: lossless
- Speed: super-fast with Hardware (GPU) acceleration
This tool is an expert in decrypting Blu-ray discs and making a copy/clone of it on another disc or DVD or on your hard drive with the 3D information intact. Wondering how to decrypt Blu-ray if it contains Cinavia protection then fret not because along with Blu-ray Cinavia Removal you can even remove that protection from the content. DVDFab Blu-ray Copy can burn your Blu-ray media content both blank Blu-ray discs or even DVDs if you want to save money or just don’t have a Blu-ray handy but still want to make a high-quality backup. In this case, you can make a BD format disc type that players only on a Blu-ray player, or if you have a Blu-ray disc handy you can burn a Blu-ray disc like BD-R 25, BD-RE 25, BD-R 50, and BD-RE 50.
Steps on how to decrypt Blu-ray using DVDFab Blu-ray Copy:
• Download and install DVDFab Blu-ray copy.
• On the home screen, select the Copy option from the menu bar at the top. If you have attached the Blu-ray player then insert the BD disk into it and navigate to it after clicking on the Add button on the main screen or just drag and drop the ISO or the Blu-ray folder to the main screen.
• Once you have loaded the file and selected the Copy option, go to the Mode Switcher menu on the left side of the UI below the DVDFab logo to select the copy mode you require.
• You don’t need to copy all the data from the Blu-ray to another disc or on your computer. Before decrypting the Blu-ray and copying it, you can choose the Titles, subtitles, and audio track that you want to copy to the output file. You can also define the volume label and choose the output file type from BD 50, BD 25 BD 9 or D-5 from the Advanced Settings panel.
• At the bottom of the UI, in the “Save to” bar select your optical drive as the directory (copy to a blank disc) or select any folder (copy to a folder) after clicking on the folder icon if you want to create the ISO (copy to an ISO) in your computer local directory.
• Click on the Start button to start the copy process immediately. A new window will open showing you the progress where you can pause or cancel the task if required. You can minimize the window to do any other parallel task using DVDFab software or any other application on your computer.
- Compatibility: Windows and Mac
- Decrypt: AACS, BD+, BD-J, RC, etc.
- Video Editor: Add music/text/subtitle/video effects; adjust video properties, etc.
- Input: Blu-ray disc (2D & 3D), Blu-ray folder, Blu-ray ISO image file
- (3D Videos): 3D MKV. H.265, 3D MP4. H.265, 3D MP4. 4K, 3D MKV. 4K, 3D AVI, 3D MP4, 3D WMV, 3D MKV, 3D M2TS, 3DTS
- (2D Videos): H.265.MP4. 4k, MKV.4K, MPEG-4, MP4 Passthrough, MKV Passthrough, MP4, FLV, MKV, AVI, WMV, M2TS, TS, etc.
- (Audio): MP3, MP4, WMA/WMA10, WAV, DTS, OGG, PCM and AC-3/E-AC-35.1 etc, with up to 7.1 channels
- Portable Devices: Apple, Barnes&Noble, BlackBerry, Box, Google, HTC, HuaWei, LG, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, PVP, Samsung, Sony, 3D device
- Quality: 1080p with the assistance of Enlarger AI
- Speed: super-fast with Hardware (GPU) Acceleration
Note: If you also want to copy and rip 4K Blu-ray disc, there is a DVDFab UHD Ripper of great help. Collaborated with StealthyClone, UHDPath assists you in removing the BD-J protection.
With Blu-ray Ripper from DVDFab, you can convert the movie from your Blu-ray disc to an easy-to-use format. Convert it to any 2D or 3D format including H.265 and 4K high-quality videos as well the more command formats like MP4, AVI, or MKV. You can even just select your device and DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper will decrypt and convert the video and audio to the format that your device supports. Just like DVDFab Blu-ray Copy, here too you can use the tool Blu-ray Cinavia Removal. DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper supports batch conversion and is programmed to accelerate the ripping speed with multi-threading, multi-core usage and support for latest NVIDIA CUDA and Intel Quick Sync. The tool has gone through many years of development and is highly stable and trustworthy.
Steps on how to decrypt Blu-ray using DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper:
• Download and install DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper.
• On the main screen select Ripper option. If the source is a BD then attach a Blu-ray player external with the disc inside. Navigate to the disc after click on the Add button and if it is an ISO you can directly drag and drop the file to the main UI.
• Once the source file has been loaded, click on the Profile Switcher button to choose the profile for conversion. With DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper you can decrypt the Blu-ray content to any audio formats, 2D & 3D video formats, or devices in support of video playback. The conversion can be done to any latest and high-quality formats like Passthrough, HEVC, 4K and many more.
• Select the Titles, Audio track and the subtitle you want to be present in the output file. Use the Advanced settings toolbar and the Video editor to do other customizations.
• Once all settings are done click on the Start button to start the ripping process which you can see in another window. Once the output file is generated you can see the end result how Blu-ray decryption is done using DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper.
- Compatibility: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
- Decrypt: AACS, BD+, MKB
- Input: Any Kinds of Blu-rays
- Output: (video)MP4, MOV, MKV, FLV, WMV, AVI;(audio) MP3, WMA, FLAC, OGG;
- Portable Devices: iPhone, iPad, iPod, PSP, HTC, Samsung, Archos, Zune
- Quality: the same or even higher than the source video
- Ripping Speed: fast
How to decrypt Blu-rays using EaseFab Blu-ray Ripper:
• Load your Blu-ray file
• Choose output format
• Start to digitalize your Blu-ray
- Compatibility: Windows and Mac
- Import: Blu-ray disc/folder/ISO file
- Output(300+): MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV, MP3, WMA, AAC, M4A
- Quality: lossless ripping
- Quantity: support batch conversion
- Portable Devices: Apple, Android, game console
- Editing tool: Crop, clip, rotate; add watermark; adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and hue
- Speed: fast
How to decrypt Blu-rays using VideoSolo Blu-ray Ripper:
•Download and Install VideoSolo Blu-ray Ripper
•Insert Blu-ray disc to Blu-ray drive
•Import your file by clicking “Load Disc” > “Load BD Disc”
•Scroll down the box of “Profile” and choose an output format
•Click “Convert” and start decrypting Blu-rays
Compatible with Windows and Mac, ImElfin also has the ability to decrypt Blu-rays in its copy mode and ripper mode. You can use it to convert Blu-rays to any video or audio format, making them available on portable devices with multiple video effects.
Next, let me tell you how to decrypt Blu-rays using ImElfin Blu-ray Copy and Ripper, respectively.
ImElfin Blu-ray Copy
ImElfin Blu-ray Ripper
Load your Blu-ray video
Import your Blu-ray file
Customize it based on your preference
Choose your favorite output format
Click “Start” and decrypt Blu-rays
Convert Blu-rays while decrypting it
While you are decrypting Blu-rays using any of the above-mentioned software, you are a down-to-earth explorer of Blu-ray copies and rippers. And you are creating more potentials for Blu-ray decryption by finding answers to such questions below.
- How to rip 3D Blu-ray to SBS MKV 3D video
- How to convert and rip Blu-ray to HD (720p&1080p) video
- How to rip and convert Blu-ray to Android tablet/phone
- How to convert a Blu-ray to H.264 videos without quality loss
- How to rip and convert Blu-rays in Windows 10/7, Mac, etc.
To make the topic of “Decrypt Blu-rays” more attractive, you can also resort to other alternatives of DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper such as MakeMKV, HandBrake, MovieRescuer, DeUHD, AnyDVD HD for help.
Although Blu-rays are protected by Cinavia, BD-J, or other codes, there are always freeways to decrypt Blu-rays and bring good memories back to life. Have you decided which Blu-ray copy or ripper to adopt? DVDFab products, such as Blu ray Copy software and Blu ray Ripper software, are highly recommended.