DVD Ripping for Plex: 3 Best Tools for Ripping DVDs for Plex
Summary: If you are looking for the easiest and fastest way to stream and play DVDs over your Plex media server, this is the right place. This article will look at which format is optimal for Plex.
- • Free and Simplified Version of DVD/Blu-ray Copy/Ripper and Video Converter
- • Lossless Backup DVDs/Blu-rays in Full Disc & Main Movie Mode
- • Convert DVDs/Blu-rays/Videos to MKV & MP4 Videos
- • Personalized Video with Built-in Video Editor
Plex is free media software that can manage and showcase your movies, TV shows, music, and images on devices. Although it is as powerful, it lacks compatibility for DVD files such as DVDs, Video_ts folders, and other "disc image" formats. You'll need to convert these files into Plex-compatible formats if you want to stream and play them through Plex. It clarifies that you need to rip DVDs to digital formats supported by Plex first. To watch your ripped DVD movies on additional devices, install Plex on each one. So, if you are looking for the easiest and fastest way to stream and play DVDs over your Plex media server, this is the right place.
Table of Contents
This article will look at which format is optimal for Plex and how to convert DVDs to Plex-supported video formats with the best quality.
Before we get into rip DVDs for Plex, it's essential to understand which formats Plex Media Server supports. The media compatibility and video quality limits of Plex differ depending on the device. Plex usually supports MP4 (H.264+AAC) as its native format.
Plex may usually play videos that meet the following criteria directly:
- MP4 as a container
- H.264 video encoding (level 4.0 or lower)
- AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
- Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels or less
- 30 frames per second video frame rate
- Bit Depth of Video: 8
DVDFab DVD Ripper is one of the most powerful DVD ripping software available at cheap rates. Using this program, ripping a DVD is quite simple. Furthermore, the extensive list of functions available will astound you. It comes with advanced GPU acceleration technologies like CUDA and others. You can rip a regular DVD movie in less than 5 minutes.
- This powerful DVD ripper can convert DVD video files to the MKV format. As a result, lossless sound quality and video streaming will be provided.
- Smartphones are particularly desirable for watching videos due to their convenience and portability. DVDFab DVD Ripper can rip DVD to mp4 for mobile devices.
- DVD Ripper also comes with a built-in editor. While ripping DVDs, you can use this top-notch editor to make a professional or personalized film.
- If you rip DVDs one by one, here is something more to surprise you. You can add numerous DVD rip tasks to the queue with this software. After that, each DVD is converted to a digital file one by one. As a result, by using the best DVD rip software, you may genuinely save time for other things.
- The software offers you up to 600 videos and audio formats.
- You will be more than 50x faster speed.
- You will also enjoy its use to playback on portable mobile devices and get theater experience at home.
- It is the best way to rip DVDs for plex within minutes.
- Some new users may find it a bit challenging.
How to convert DVD to plex using DVDFab DVD Ripper?
- Download and install DVDFab DVD Ripper and click on the ripper option.
- Insert the DVD and click on Other Profile. From here, select format and video to convert DVD to the required format.
- Choose the required setting, including language, subtitles, etc.
- Click on the start button and wait a while. You can also cancel the process during the ripping.
MakeMKV is a well-known application for ripping Plex DVDs on Mac and Windows. It pulls the video stream from the DVD and saves it as an MKV file rather than compressing it. That's why MakeMKV rips videos so quickly. However, this results in the produced videos being somewhat monumental. If your movie DVD is 4 GB in size, the ripped version will be 4 GB as well. It's only a DVD ripper and doesn't support video converting. Have you ever heard of WinX DVD Ripper? The post A Review of WinX DVD Ripper and DVDFab DVD Ripper will give you an all-around introduction to these two flagship products.
- It reads DVD and Blu-ray discs secured with the newest versions of AACS and BD+.
- The software saves all video and audio tracks, like HD audio.
- There is entire preservation of chapters and meta-information including track language, audio type, etc.
- The software comes with cross-platform compatibility.
- It will rip a DVD with copy protection.
- It has a fast-ripping speed due to the lack of re-encoding.
- Moreover, it has a Blu-ray disc ripper.
- This one generally maintains a good standard.
- MKV is the only export format
- It keeps the video size large
- Unable to alter the video and audio codecs.
- There are no preset profiles.
How to rip DVDs to plex using MakeMKV?
MakeMKV is the best way to rip DVDs for plex that you can install and use on your computer. Here are the processing steps;
- Place the DVD in the drive, and the software will load it automatically.
- To study the disc, click the "Open DVD Disc" button.
- Choose a movie to rip. Although MakeMKV can recognize titles, it isn't always accurate.
- Select a location and click "Make MKV.
There is no doubt that Handbrake is a good DVD ripper for Plex. It rips DVDs to preset iPhone, Android, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, and Windows 8. With the extensive set of custom settings available, you can modify codecs, effects, chapter markers, filters, video dimensions, and more. If you don't have the libdvdcss library installed, you won't be able to rip copy-protected content. For more detailed steps, you can check the post How to Rip Blu Ray Disc in 2022.
- The software can quickly convert any video format to MP4 or MKV.
- You can use it to crop and resize videos.
- It will restore the old and low-quality video.
- It will help you erase combing artifacts produced by interlacing and telecine.
- The users can pass-through audio without transferring particular audio types.
- It will mix discrete surround sound into matrix surround or stereo.
- There is no malware threat, and it's free to use.
- It supports multi-platform compatibility.
- The user can easily customize the video and audio settings.
- It typically supports a wide range of input formats.
- Rip DVDs only to MP4, MKV, or WebM. (Limited output formats)
- Inability to combine DVD videos
- To deal with encrypted DVDs, you'll need to install an additional decoder.
- It only rips one title at a time.
Steps to Rip DVD for Plex Using Handbrake
Handbrake is available for free download and installation from its official website.
- Insert a DVD into your computer's DVD drive.
- Launch Handbrake, which will ask you to choose a source file.
- Select the DVD drive > VIDEO-TS folder > "Open" on a Mac. Choose "Folder (Batch Scan) > VIDEO-TS folder" on Windows.
- Select a DVD title you want to rip from the "Title" drop-down menu.
- If you want to rip numerous titles, you'll have to repeat the process.
- Select MP4 or MKV as the output format. Both of these work with Plex files.
- Give your output video a name and save it to a folder.
- Select "Start" from the drop-down menu.
How can I upload a ripped DVD on Plex?
You can now add the digital files to Plex Media Service after ripping the DVD for Plex. Here are simple steps;
- Sign up for a Plex account at Plex. tv
- Get Plex and install it.
- Go to the Plex main page.
- Click the "+" button next to "Libraries."
- For this library, choose a type of material, a name, and a language.
- Select "Browse for media folder" and enter the location of the content.
- Select "Add Library" from the drop-down menu.
Note: You'll need to install two apps to use Plex to stream videos. One is a server application that runs on your computer and stores your media files. The Plex media player app is another option.
Have you gotten the whole picture on how to rip DVDs for Plex? MakeMKV and Handbrake are both free to use. However, they only support a limited number of output formats. MakeMKV generates big files, whereas Handbrake decreases video quality. Most professional programs like DVDFab DVD Ripper, which rip DVDs for Plex, keep the original DVD quality while reducing file size. It also supports different other functions like video editing and downloading. If you want to find more DVD rippers, you can read the post The Best Blu Ray Ripper Player to Use 2022.
No. Plex does not support ripping DVDs.
On macOS Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, and older, WinX DVD Ripper for Mac helps you rip DVD to Plex format.
- Step 1: Insert DVD into the DVD drive and select WinX DVD Ripper for Mac from the menu.
- Step 2: Select a Plex-compatible output format. Here MP4 is recommended.
- Step 3: On your Mac computer, press RUN to begin ripping DVDs for Plex.
The issue is with the aspect ratio. Old DVDs have a 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas widescreen TVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio. If your TV doesn't upscale the video to fill the screen, you'll see black bars.
Tips: When ripping a DVD, keep the aspect ratio the same as the original. You will find the "Keep origin" option in WinX DVD Ripper.